PDA

View Full Version : boot failure:system halted

lefty15hz
2006-05-10, 07:57
boot failure:system halted. kept getting this message on my max 40gb hd. messed with all possible bios settings, and ended up installing new 200gb hd,and reinstalled new copy of windows home xp.problem fixed, do not get message anymore unless i have the 40gb hd connected as master.neeed to get all my files off my 40gb hd. anyone have some knowledge in this. but i have tried every single possible way of installing both hd's at the same time and can not get the computer to read the 40gb hd. i have tried all possible jumper settings,and tried each hd on primary/seconday and as master/slave. Then when i finally do get the compuert to boot normally with both hd's hooked up, it will not read the 40gb hd. the 40 gb hd is only about 1-2 years old.do not know much about hard drives, but when i put my hand over the 40gb, while the pc is powered on, it feels like it is on. there are no loud noises. i am not concerned about the os on the 40gb hd, i just need all my important files,mp3's, and photos.any help would be greatly appreciated.

shelf life
2006-05-10, 23:54
hi lefty15hz,

if you can get it to bootup with both hd,there are some diagnostic tools one can download (maxblast) from the maxtor website. also good for FAQ/knowdledge base.

http://www.maxtor.com/portal/site/Maxtor/menuitem.8db0c3d6932ced37294198b091346068/?channelpath=/en_us/Support/Software%20Downloads