PDA

View Full Version : XP user accounts

r2baruch
2006-05-10, 11:59
WinXP-Home-SP2. I loaded S&D Resident (TeaTimer). But it only seems to run in my administrator account and not in the other limited rights user accounts. It is not active in the other accounts as shown by its absence in the system tray. Checking with Sysinternals Process Explorer it is not running in the other accounts. Further in Sysinternals Autoruns, it appears only to be activated from HKCU (current user) but not from HKLM (local machine). How can I have it protect the other accounts as well?
Thanks.

md usa spybot fan
2006-05-10, 14:07
Activate TeaTimer from within each user account. To activate TeaTimer:
Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > Resident.
Check the following:Resident "TeaTimer" (Protection of over-all system settings) Active.

r2baruch
2006-05-10, 14:47
Activate TeaTimer from within each user account. To activate TeaTimer:
Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > Resident.
Check the following:Resident "TeaTimer" (Protection of over-all system settings) Active.

Thanks. I did it.

S&D and its resident seem to be great and at least give the feeling of secutity. I really appreciate the availability and price of the program. If you care to pass on a suggestion to the development team, it would be that one installation by the administrator should automatically activate the utility in all user accounts such as occurs with all my other security software. This is the first one that I had to go into each account to activate.

md usa spybot fan
2006-05-10, 15:42
I believe that it is intentional that the startup entry for TeaTimer is added to the HKEY_CURRENT_USER rather than the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE registry hive.

In my opinion TeaTimer is not the type of facility that you necessarily what to have automatically installed for every user of a system. Although it adds an addition level of protection it also requires a certain level of expertise to be used properly. Denying the wrong registry change can have just as dire an effect on your system as allowing the wrong change. I personally think that the activation of TeaTimer on a per user basis is safer than having the startup entry added to the [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run] registry key.

Incidentally, you could have added the startup entry for TeaTimer to the [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run] and then it would start for each user of the system without activation from within each account.

r2baruch
2006-05-10, 22:21
Thank you. That is certainly food for thought so I will think about it. I appreciate your time and advice.