PDA

View Full Version : should i allow this registry change?

beakerr
2006-05-10, 16:15
hI my spybot which has been installed about 1 week suddenly started asking if i wanted to allow a registry change.

Category: Session manager

Change: Value deleted

Entry: BootExecute

Allow Change Deny Change

I denied it and it keeps popping up.
Help what do i do???:confused: :confused:

Also I am using Windows XP sp2, IE6( i think) emachines T3256
Avast anti Virus

md usa spybot fan
2006-05-10, 16:53
Are you familiar with Registry Editor (regedit)? If so, what is the value of the following key:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\BootExecute]
Did you run a CHKDSK recently?

beakerr
2006-05-10, 17:06
it says

Boot Execute: Type: REG_MULTI_SZ

Data: autocheck autochk 'SsiEfr.e

also i did the windows live safety center complete scan recently and got a clean bill of health on all drives.

just ran CHKDSK tho not familiar with it and it verified a bunch of stuff than vanished with no report. beakerr

md usa spybot fan
2006-05-10, 17:48
Did you install and remove a beta version of SpySweeper prior to the registry change starting? If so read:
What is Ssiefr.e in Spy Sweeper?
http://castlecops.com/t142766-What_is_Ssiefr_e_in_Spy_Sweeper.html

From the above and other Google hits it appears that "SsiEfr.e" should have been "SsiEfr.exe" and was added by SpySweeper.

If you did install and remove a beta version of SpySweeper, allow the deletion of the entry the next time the dialog appears.

beakerr
2006-05-10, 18:00
yes i had tried spysweeper some time ago, but its uninstalled now. I allowed the change no ill effects so far. thanks for the help! beakerr