PDA

View Full Version : Updating SB Error, now computer won't boot.

SpaceFarm
2006-05-16, 07:25
Okay basically I was updating Spybot today and it was taking an hour to update the definition files - I don't know why (I'm on a stable 1.5mb connection) and basically I tried to ALT+CTRL+DEL Spybot, that didn't work so I got frustrated as I had to leave the house so I just turned the computer off. (:sick: )

Now when I boot into windows it's fine until it gets to the logon screen and when I logon it takes ages and ages then the desktop wallpaper appears and that's it. I can't get to the task manager, no shortcut keys work or anything - it just freezes and shows the desktop wallpaper.

I'm Running an XP SP2 perfectly healthy computer with no virus', adware, spyware etc...I had the TeaTimer on startup so I'm 95%, the definition files have been corrupted and won't load therefore XP isn't fully loading...What can I do?? :fear:

Thanks!

Buster
2006-05-16, 13:06
Did you already try to boot the last known-good configuration? How to do so can be found here:
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000626.htm

SpaceFarm
2006-05-17, 00:22
Yes, well I played around with it last night. I got it to boot into Safe Mode - it took 5 hours to get to the desktop! This is a pentium 4 2.8ghz machine so obviously something is very wrong.

When in safe mode I got into the Task Manager's process list and System Idle Process was taking up 99% CPU so I'm pretty sure it's not teatimer or Spybots fault anymore - something in the reboot really stuffed the computer up really bad.

You can lock this thread now as I'm taking it in to get repaired. Thanks though!

tashi
2006-05-17, 16:27
Thank you for letting us know and good luck. :)