PDA

View Full Version : Host files

slippingglimpser
2010-09-19, 16:58
If I remove the 'host-files' from my computer will Spybot S&D still function?

Zenobia
2010-09-20, 03:23
I noticed you used hosts files in plural.Did you mean your main hosts file,which will show as hosts,with no extension?
Or are you talking about the backup hosts files that Spybot creates?

wyrmrider
2010-09-23, 21:20
Please post back
you can remove spybot's backup however it is best to RESTORE the original Hosts file if you want to remove the SPYBOT (and possibly other) entries
The Original Hosts file was installed with the OS
Are you having trouble with thour hosts file?
do you think there are malicious entries there redirecting your internet addresses?

dodo37
2012-09-26, 22:11
:crazy:hello you guys hum and girls also, sorrymuha:,well i'm a real dodo on that stuff you know, it looks like i've no host list working with my bot.

Chrono/: last time, i uninstall bot, then got one, and reinstall it, but find some mess around with my host list, so some realy nice personne from bot, send me a new one, and tell me how to install it, cause i'm a dodo, but still doesn't work.

I still have that knew host list on a bloc-notes, but cannot copy it in the exact place where it belongs, so it coulld be syncro with bot.

Well if any of youre used to it people, could guide me step by step, it would be of a great help.

Thank you, and sorry for my english:thanks:

Zenobia
2012-09-27, 06:31
What operating system do you have?
Which version of Spybot are you using,Spybot 1.6.2 or the beta/release candidate?
Were you sent a new hosts file to replace your old one because there were entries added to it by Spybot and you would like them to be removed,or was there another reason?

dodo37
2012-10-12, 12:03
:cool:hi, I use win 7 and firefox, my bot is 1.6.2, i have spare somewhere in my mail box, a host list from safer networking, but don't see the exact maner to install it, and making it working, so since, bot never find stuff on scaning mode, any could say, well you just got nothing behind your pc is clean, but i'm not that kind !

When i click host list in the advance mode, it is just empty, black listed in the icone right done shows 198254 and never move from that figure ?, and 283740, is the known cote available.

thank you dodo

Zenobia
2012-10-13, 12:36
Hi. :)
Okay,before putting the hosts file from safer networking in place,let's see if your original hosts file is visible,or if you'll need to show hidden files and folders first.
Click Start,type Run.
Run should popup at the top of the menu.Copy and paste
%SystemDrive%\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc into the box,and click ok.Can you see Hosts in there?It should be just Hosts,with no extension.

dodo37
2012-10-16, 15:46
:cool: hi Z

I have hosts doc txt 587 ko <----- that one is probably the one from networking, and a the other is -----> lmhosts sam file 4 ko

tks
see you dodo

Zenobia
2012-10-17, 16:05
Ok,thanks. :)

Here's how to show hidden files and folders in Windows 7:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/show-hidden-files-in-windows-7/
Could you do that,then Click Start,type Run.Open Run,then Copy and paste
%SystemDrive%\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc into the box,and click ok.

Do you see a hosts file with no extension in there now?