PDA

View Full Version : AntiVirus Disable & Firewall Disable

heidilaf
2006-10-17, 17:24
Hi. Can someone tell me if these are false positives?

The Spybot scan continues to catch my AntiVirus Disable and Firewall Disable, which I think is a function of my McAfee Internet Suite, not sure. The items the scan catches are

Microsoft.WindowsSecurityCenter.AntiVirusDisableNotify
and
Microsoft.WindowsSecurityCenter.FirewallDisableNotify

...are these false positives? If so is there a way to make Spybot ignore these settings?

Thanks, Heidi

spybotsandra
2006-10-17, 17:29
Hello,

Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.4 has been detecting Security Risks (renamed to "Windows Security Center" on July 30) associated with Microsoft Security Center Registry changes. This is neither a false positive nor a bug. It is just an information.
Spybot-S&D only wants to bring to your attention that "someone" disabled one or more notifications in the Windows Security Center, e.g. the notifications that your virus protection is not active or not up-to-date. If you changed the settings yourself you can safely tell Spybot-S&D to exclude those detections from further scans.
In order to do so please right-click each in turn, then click "exclude this detection from future scans". That way, should any other part of security center settings change, Spybot-S&D will still detect those.
The same is true if you have another security solution installed (like McAfee Security Center or Norton Internet Security). These programs do also disable the Windows Security Center in order to take care of things themselves.
The reason why the changes are flagged by Spybot-S&D is that there are also malware programs that disable the notifications so the user doesn't take note of his security tools not being effective.

Some more information is also available in our forum:
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=87

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot