Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Latest Update cause access violation in Spyware Blaster

Default Latest Update cause access violation in Spyware Blaster

After updating the latest detection update dated 16/04/08, and immunized spybot, i can't open spywareblaster, it caused a access violation error.
    I then unimmumized spybot and i can open spywareblaster but as soon as i immunized it, the same error occur whenever i open spywareblaster.So high chance is the latest detection update is causing problem to spyware blaster.
    Anybody having the same problem or know of a fix for it, pls kindly help me. Thanks
    Spybot version: 1.5.2.2
    Spywareblaster version: 4.0

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

hotasy2k:

I am having no difficulty running SpybotSD.exe Version 1.5.2.20 and spywareblaster.exe Version 4.0.0.0 together.

Does the "2k" at the end of your username indicate Windows 2000 by any chance?

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

no i'm not using win2000, i'm using winxp sp2 fully updated, are ur spybot & spywareblaster fully updated, becos, b4 the latest update for spybot, i do not have this problem, only after that then this problem occur.

Just did an unimmunize for spybot and able to open spywareblaster without error and disable all protection for spywareblaster., fully immunized spybot and enabled protection for spywareblaster protection one by one, protection for IE and restricted site can be enabled successfully, but protection for firefox can't same access violation error.
    Last edited by hotasy2k; 2008-04-16 at 16:11.

I can verify the error too, just updated Spybot and SpywareBlaster has a problem with firefox.

Here is a printscreen!

Using Vista Ultimate here, but I don't think the OS is the issue, SB just blocks sth that SpywareBlaster uses to read from.
    Last edited by PiCoPi; 2008-04-16 at 16:27.

Same SNAFU here with a Win XP SP2 laptop.

Truthfully, I'd rather have a working SpywareBlaster running in the background than an updated SpyBot, until it's fixed.

Spybot 1.5.2 is a winner, so I'll always have both.

I, too, am getting an error when trying to start Spyware Blaster, version 4.0.0.0, after updating Spybot version 1.5.2.20 a few minutes ago, using Windows Vista Home Premium.

"Error Access violation at 0x005F71FC (tried to read from 0x07C60344), program terminated."

[EDIT]

Please see this thread in the Spyware Blaster forum:

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=206415

I removed all Firefox (Minefield) immunization in Spybot; Spyware Blaster then started (albeit with quite a bit of protection disabled, as expected.)
    Last edited by Always Confused; 2008-04-16 at 17:54.

Yes, it seems that by unimmunizing SpyBot, you remove some of the enabled protection in SpywareBlaster at the same time.

Hi,

I've tracked down the cause of this error.

Problem Details:

This problem is being caused by Spybot S & D writing invalid entries to the Firefox hostperm.1 file.

Specifically, Spybot is writing entries using unicode characters, such as:
    "meine-Grußkarten.de"

This is invalid. According to the specification, these International Domain Names should be properly encoded as punycode before being written to the file. In the case of the domain listed above, it should be written to the file as:
    "meine-grusskarten.de"

(More information on punycode, for anyone who's curious: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punycode)

Resolution:

For the time being, I would recommend undoing/disabling immunization for Firefox in Spybot S & D - to prevent Spybot from writing these invalid entries to the file.

This should allow you to fully enable protection in SpywareBlaster.

Other Notes (for PepiMK):

A quick fix on Spybot S & D's end would be to simply remove those sites from the database, until the Spybot program itself is fixed to write the properly encoded entries to the file.

Best regards,

-Javacool

Hi, new on this forum - found it by looking for info on this Spywareblaster problem; relieved to find I'm not the only one having the problem!
    Interestingly enough, I've been having (more or less) the same problem for a couple of weeks or so on one machine that I still run on Win98se (there is a reason!) - can't remember exactly when, but suddenly when trying to start Spywareblaster for an update it would freeze and could only be "switched off" by the Alt/Ctrl/Del buttons - every time, just as it started to load the Firefox protections.... however, in these cases, there was no error message at all!
    On three other machines (two XP Pro, one XP Home), no problems - until today.....
    ...Another (temporary) quirk with Firefox was with Vista - FF wouldn't start, and the process couldn't be stopped - however, that's all been sorted now, thankfully!

Gramm

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Javacool View Post
    Hi,

For the time being, I would recommend undoing/disabling immunization for Firefox in Spybot S & D - to prevent Spybot from writing these invalid entries to the file.

This should allow you to fully enable protection in SpywareBlaster.
    I'm having the same problem with getting the Error Access Violation. Regarding your solution, how do I disable the immunization for Firefox in Spybot S & D?
    Last edited by lking; 2008-04-16 at 21:24.