Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is Windows Corrupted?

Security Expert-Emeritus

Hi

Before we continue, I'd like to do a little revision

So you have two computers, a laptop and a desktop. I would be best to create a new thread for the laptop...or we can clean it when we have finished with the desktop.

So the desktop doesn't have an internet access ? should it have or is is just broken ? So can you use the desktop in normal mode ?

The "HP User" account is propably a restricted account which is why you cant use all the options in Control Panel. Try accessing it with the administrator account.

When we continue, you need to use the account which has the adiministrative rigths so that the cleaning is possible.

Sorry for the questions but I'm a bit confused

==============

This is for the desktop computer:

Please run a GMER Rootkit scan:

Download GMER's application from here:
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=5198

Unzip it and start the GMER.exe
    Click the Rootkit tab and click the Scan button.

Once done, click the Copy button.
    This will copy the results to your clipboard.
    Paste the results in your next reply.

Warning ! Please, do not select the "Show all" checkbox during the scan.

If you're having problems with running GMER.exe, try it in safe mode.

MalWare Removal University - You too could train to help others
    UNITE & ASAP member since 2006

Smile Desktop

Hi,

Well I think I will wait until we have finished sorting out the desktop before we go onto the laptop....as I would prefer to stick to the same person (i.e you) dealing with both queries :-)

HP-User Account is my only user account and it was set to have full admin access privillages (I have confirmed this also when logged on as the adminstrator). In normal mode and in safe mode, if I log on using this account setting (HP-USER) I cannot use the internet and I cannot acess the control panel (the message which comes up is posted in my first post on this thread).I also cannot click on and activate the avg anti spywear from the desktop.

The ONlY way I could carry out the procedures yesterday was to bel ogged on as the administrator in safe mode.My internet access and control panel acess is fine in this mode.

I do not think my internet access is broken on this computer. I use a wireless router...and my laptop is working fine with the internet (it does not seem to be as badly affected as my desktop).

It has been suggested to me today to create another user account whilst logged on as the administartor in safe mode. I have done this and called this new account 'Anita'. When I relogin in in normal mode as 'Anita' everything seems to be working fine (i.e internet acess and control panel acess, and I can use AVG anti spywear icon from desktop). I was told today to delete rather than quarantine the infections found in the last AVG scan I did (log posted yesterday). I have done this.

Logged on as 'Anita' in normal mode I have also been able to turn system restore back on. As 'HP-User' however I still cannot do anything in normal mode (cannot run AVG, acess to control panel , cannot acess internet, cannot activate AVG spywear icon from desktop..etc). The same message comes up saying.....I do not have suufficient acess permission (which before all this trouble...with Zlob etc I never had!).

I am unsure what do to do now....in terms of this other tool you have given me. Do you want me to run in normal mode under my new user account ('Anita') or in safe mode under administrator? Do you think you can fix the problem in my old user account (HP-User)? Is the infection still present?

Also...When I first started the cleaning procedures part of your instructions were to ensure that all hidden files are visble....is it ok still to keep my computer in this mode or not?

Thanks for all your help so far.

Security Expert-Emeritus

OK thanks for the info

Sounds like the 'HP-User' is corrupted in some way. You'd better use that 'Anita' until we are sure tha the pc is clean. Also we might not be able to fix this 'HP-User' account (some settings may be messed up) so you may have to move you important files to 'Anita' eventually.

But let's see if we got remaining pests there. Use the 'Anita' in normal mode for the cleanings

Please run the Gmer scan. Also please do an online scan with Kaspersky WebScanner

Click on Kaspersky Online Scanner

You will be promted to install an ActiveX component from Kaspersky, Click Yes.
    • The program will launch and then begin downloading the latest definition files:
    • Once the files have been downloaded click on NEXT
    • Now click on Scan Settings
    • In the scan settings make that the following are selected:
      • Scan using the following Anti-Virus database:
      • Extended (if available otherwise Standard)
      • Scan Options:
      • Scan Archives
        Scan Mail Bases
    • Click OK
    • Now under select a target to scan:
      • Select My Computer
    • This will program will start and scan your system.
    • The scan will take a while so be patient and let it run.
    • Once the scan is complete it will display if your system has been infected.
      • Now click on the Save as Text button:
    • Save the file to your desktop.
    • Copy and paste that information in your next post.

Smile Rootkit File from Desktop (done in normal mode under new account user 'Anita')

I have had to Compress/Zip the Rootkit file and attach it. Please let me know if you are having any problems with opening it.

Default Kaspersky Online Scanner Report

I have attached the text file (zipped) with this post for my online scan on my desktop computer (done in normal mode logged on as the new user account 'Anita').

Security Expert-Emeritus

Hi

The scanners didn't detect any new malware. It is looking clean now. You could try if the 'HP-User' works now but I doubt it. It seems to be a corrupted user profile. It would be difficult/impossible to find out what is messed up. The easiest thing would be to start using that new 'Anita' profile. You can move all you important files to the new account.

You could post a one more HijackThis log but this time take it in the normal mode with 'Anita'

Default Hijacked Log File (done in normal mode logged in as the new user 'Anita')

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
    Scan saved at 20:14:44, on 03/01/2007
    Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.5730.0011)

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\guard.exe
    C:\Program Files\McAfee\MBK\MBackMonitor.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\HackerWatch\HWAPI.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\MSC\mclogsrv.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\MSC\mcupdmgr.exe
    c:\program files\common files\mcafee\mna\mcnasvc.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcods.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\MSC\mcpromgr.exe
    c:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\mcafee\mcproxy\mcproxy.exe
    c:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\mcafee\redirsvc\redirsvc.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcshield.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcsysmon.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\MSC\mctskshd.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\MSC\mcusrmgr.exe
    C:\Program Files\McAfee\MPF\MPFSrv.exe
    C:\Program Files\McAfee\MSK\MskSrver.exe
    C:\Program Files\Mcafee\MWL\MwlSvc.exe
    C:\Program Files\SiteAdvisor\4979\SAService.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe
    C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_03\bin\jusched.exe
    C:\windows\system\hpsysdrv.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\hphmon06.exe
    C:\HP\KBD\KBD.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\InterVideo\SchSvr\SchSvr.exe
    C:\Program Files\InterVideo\Common\Bin\WinRemote.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\keyhook.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\AGRSMMSG.exe
    C:\Program Files\ScanSoft\OmniPageSE2.0\OpwareSE2.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Works Shared\WkUFind.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\SOUNDMAN.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\ALCWZRD.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\ALCMTR.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Linksys Wireless-G USB Wireless Network Monitor\InfoMyCa.exe
    C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    C:\Program Files\SiteAdvisor\4979\SiteAdv.exe
    C:\Program Files\Mcafee\MWL\MWLGui.exe
    C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
    C:\Program Files\McAfee\MBK\McAfeeDataBackup.exe
    C:\Program Files\McAfee\MSK\MskAgent.exe
    C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe
    C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee\VIRUSS~1\mcvsshld.exe
    C:\Documents and Settings\Anita\Desktop\Safer Networking\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.yahoo.co.uk/
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=74005
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {089FD14D-132B-48FC-8861-0048AE113215} - C:\Program Files\SiteAdvisor\4979\SiteAdv.dll
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: scriptproxy - {7DB2D5A0-7241-4E79-B68D-6309F01C5231} - c:\program files\mcafee\virusscan\scriptcl.dll
    O2 - BHO: Windows Live Toolbar Helper - {BDBD1DAD-C946-4A17-ADC1-64B5B4FF55D0} - C:\Program Files\Windows Live Toolbar\msntb.dll
    O2 - BHO: McAfee Popup Blocker - {C68AE9C0-0909-4DDC-B661-C1AFB9F5AE53} - c:\program files\mcafee\mps\mcpopup.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: HP view - {B2847E28-5D7D-4DEB-8B67-05D28BCF79F5} - c:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\HPDTLK02.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: Easy-WebPrint - {327C2873-E90D-4c37-AA9D-10AC9BABA46C} - C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\Toolband.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: McAfee SiteAdvisor - {0BF43445-2F28-4351-9252-17FE6E806AA0} - C:\Program Files\SiteAdvisor\4979\SiteAdv.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: Windows Live Toolbar - {BDAD1DAD-C946-4A17-ADC1-64B5B4FF55D0} - C:\Program Files\Windows Live Toolbar\msntb.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_03\bin\jusched.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [hpsysdrv] c:\windows\system\hpsysdrv.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPHUPD06] c:\Program Files\HP\{AAC4FC36-8F89-4587-8DD3-EBC57C83374D}\hphupd06.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPHmon06] C:\WINDOWS\system32\hphmon06.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KBD] C:\HP\KBD\KBD.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Home Theater SchSvr] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\InterVideo\SchSvr\SchSvr.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WINREMOTE] "C:\Program Files\InterVideo\Common\Bin\WinRemote.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Recguard] C:\WINDOWS\SMINST\RECGUARD.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VTTimer] VTTimer.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SiS Windows KeyHook] C:\WINDOWS\system32\keyhook.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AGRSMMSG] AGRSMMSG.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PS2] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ps2.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [OpwareSE2] "C:\Program Files\ScanSoft\OmniPageSE2.0\OpwareSE2.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Microsoft Works Update Detection] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Works Shared\WkUFind.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMan] SOUNDMAN.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AlcWzrd] ALCWZRD.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Alcmtr] ALCMTR.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WUSB54Gv4] C:\Program Files\Linksys Wireless-G USB Wireless Network Monitor\InvokeSvc3.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Easy-PrintToolBox] C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-PrintToolBox\BJPSMAIN.EXE /logon
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SiteAdvisor] C:\Program Files\SiteAdvisor\4979\SiteAdv.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MWLExe] C:\Program Files\Mcafee\MWL\MWLGui.exe /Start
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [McENUI] C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\MHN\McENUI.exe /hide
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [McAfee Backup] C:\Program Files\McAfee\MBK\McAfeeDataBackup.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MBkLogOnHook] C:\Program Files\McAfee\MBK\LogOnHook.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SpyHunter] C:\Program Files\Enigma Software Group\SpyHunter\SpyHunter.exe -scan
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MskAgentexe] C:\Program Files\McAfee\MSK\MskAgent.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [msnmsgr] "C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe" /background
    O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: HP Digital Imaging Monitor.lnk = C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
    O8 - Extra context menu item: &Windows Live Search - res://C:\Program Files\Windows Live Toolbar\msntb.dll/search.htm
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Add to Windows &Live Favorites - http://favorites.live.com/quickadd.aspx
    O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_03\bin\npjpi142_03.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_03\bin\npjpi142_03.dll
    O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
    O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Shdocvw.dll
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - %windir%\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe (file missing)
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - %windir%\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe (file missing)
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O11 - Options group: [INTERNATIONAL] International*
    O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=http://www.virgin.net
    O16 - DPF: {0EB0E74A-2A76-4AB3-A7FB-9BD8C29F7F75} (CKAVWebScan Object) - http://www.kaspersky.com/kos/eng/par...an_unicode.cab
    O18 - Protocol: msnim - {828030A1-22C1-4009-854F-8E305202313F} - "C:\PROGRA~1\MSNMES~1\msgrapp.dll" (file missing)
    O18 - Protocol: siteadvisor - {3A5DC592-7723-4EAA-9EE6-AF4222BCF879} - C:\Program Files\SiteAdvisor\4979\SiteAdv.dll
    O20 - Winlogon Notify: igfxcui - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\igfxsrvc.dll
    O23 - Service: AOL Spyware Protection Service (AOLService) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\AOL Spyware Protection\\aolserv.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
    O23 - Service: AVG Anti-Spyware Guard - Anti-Malware Development a.s. - C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\guard.exe
    O23 - Service: McAfee E-mail Proxy (Emproxy) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\McAfee\EmProxy\emproxy.exe
    O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
    O23 - Service: MBackMonitor - - C:\Program Files\McAfee\MBK\MBackMonitor.exe
    O23 - Service: McAfee HackerWatch Service - McAfee, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\HackerWatch\HWAPI.exe
    O23 - Service: McAfee Log Manager (McLogManagerService) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\MSC\mclogsrv.exe
    O23 - Service: McAfee Update Manager (mcmispupdmgr) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\MSC\mcupdmgr.exe
    O23 - Service: McAfee Network Agent (McNASvc) - McAfee, Inc. - c:\program files\common files\mcafee\mna\mcnasvc.exe
    O23 - Service: McAfee Scanner (McODS) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcods.exe
    O23 - Service: McAfee Protection Manager (mcpromgr) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\MSC\mcpromgr.exe
    O23 - Service: McAfee Proxy Service (McProxy) - McAfee, Inc. - c:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\mcafee\mcproxy\mcproxy.exe
    O23 - Service: McAfee Redirector Service (McRedirector) - McAfee, Inc. - c:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\mcafee\redirsvc\redirsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: McAfee Real-time Scanner (McShield) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcshield.exe
    O23 - Service: McAfee SystemGuards (McSysmon) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcsysmon.exe
    O23 - Service: McAfee Task Scheduler (McTskshd.exe) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\MSC\mctskshd.exe
    O23 - Service: McAfee User Manager (mcusrmgr) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\MSC\mcusrmgr.exe
    O23 - Service: McAfee Personal Firewall Service (MpfService) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\Program Files\McAfee\MPF\MPFSrv.exe
    O23 - Service: McAfee Privacy Service (MPS9) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\MPS\mps.exe
    O23 - Service: McAfee SpamKiller Service (MSK80Service) - McAfee Inc. - C:\Program Files\McAfee\MSK\MskSrver.exe
    O23 - Service: McAfee Wireless Network Security Service (MWLSvc) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Mcafee\MWL\MwlSvc.exe
    O23 - Service: SiteAdvisor Service - McAfee, Inc. - C:\Program Files\SiteAdvisor\4979\SAService.exe
    O23 - Service: WUSB54Gv4SVC - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Linksys Wireless-G USB Wireless Network Monitor\WLService.exe" "WUSB54Gv4.exe (file missing)

Default Sorry...I did it again! (In normal mode under Anita....again)

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
    Scan saved at 20:21:32, on 03/01/2007
    Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.5730.0011)

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\guard.exe
    C:\Program Files\McAfee\MBK\MBackMonitor.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\HackerWatch\HWAPI.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\MSC\mclogsrv.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\MSC\mcupdmgr.exe
    c:\program files\common files\mcafee\mna\mcnasvc.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcods.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\MSC\mcpromgr.exe
    c:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\mcafee\mcproxy\mcproxy.exe
    c:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\mcafee\redirsvc\redirsvc.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcshield.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcsysmon.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\MSC\mctskshd.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\MSC\mcusrmgr.exe
    C:\Program Files\McAfee\MPF\MPFSrv.exe
    C:\Program Files\McAfee\MSK\MskSrver.exe
    C:\Program Files\Mcafee\MWL\MwlSvc.exe
    C:\Program Files\SiteAdvisor\4979\SAService.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe
    C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_03\bin\jusched.exe
    C:\windows\system\hpsysdrv.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\hphmon06.exe
    C:\HP\KBD\KBD.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\InterVideo\SchSvr\SchSvr.exe
    C:\Program Files\InterVideo\Common\Bin\WinRemote.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\keyhook.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\AGRSMMSG.exe
    C:\Program Files\ScanSoft\OmniPageSE2.0\OpwareSE2.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Works Shared\WkUFind.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\SOUNDMAN.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\ALCWZRD.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\ALCMTR.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Linksys Wireless-G USB Wireless Network Monitor\InfoMyCa.exe
    C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    C:\Program Files\SiteAdvisor\4979\SiteAdv.exe
    C:\Program Files\Mcafee\MWL\MWLGui.exe
    C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
    C:\Program Files\McAfee\MBK\McAfeeDataBackup.exe
    C:\Program Files\McAfee\MSK\MskAgent.exe
    C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe
    C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
    C:\Documents and Settings\Anita\Desktop\Safer Networking\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.yahoo.co.uk/
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=74005
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {089FD14D-132B-48FC-8861-0048AE113215} - C:\Program Files\SiteAdvisor\4979\SiteAdv.dll
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: scriptproxy - {7DB2D5A0-7241-4E79-B68D-6309F01C5231} - c:\program files\mcafee\virusscan\scriptcl.dll
    O2 - BHO: Windows Live Toolbar Helper - {BDBD1DAD-C946-4A17-ADC1-64B5B4FF55D0} - C:\Program Files\Windows Live Toolbar\msntb.dll
    O2 - BHO: McAfee Popup Blocker - {C68AE9C0-0909-4DDC-B661-C1AFB9F5AE53} - c:\program files\mcafee\mps\mcpopup.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: HP view - {B2847E28-5D7D-4DEB-8B67-05D28BCF79F5} - c:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\HPDTLK02.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: Easy-WebPrint - {327C2873-E90D-4c37-AA9D-10AC9BABA46C} - C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\Toolband.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: McAfee SiteAdvisor - {0BF43445-2F28-4351-9252-17FE6E806AA0} - C:\Program Files\SiteAdvisor\4979\SiteAdv.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: Windows Live Toolbar - {BDAD1DAD-C946-4A17-ADC1-64B5B4FF55D0} - C:\Program Files\Windows Live Toolbar\msntb.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_03\bin\jusched.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [hpsysdrv] c:\windows\system\hpsysdrv.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPHUPD06] c:\Program Files\HP\{AAC4FC36-8F89-4587-8DD3-EBC57C83374D}\hphupd06.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPHmon06] C:\WINDOWS\system32\hphmon06.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KBD] C:\HP\KBD\KBD.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Home Theater SchSvr] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\InterVideo\SchSvr\SchSvr.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WINREMOTE] "C:\Program Files\InterVideo\Common\Bin\WinRemote.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Recguard] C:\WINDOWS\SMINST\RECGUARD.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VTTimer] VTTimer.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SiS Windows KeyHook] C:\WINDOWS\system32\keyhook.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AGRSMMSG] AGRSMMSG.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PS2] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ps2.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [OpwareSE2] "C:\Program Files\ScanSoft\OmniPageSE2.0\OpwareSE2.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Microsoft Works Update Detection] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Works Shared\WkUFind.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMan] SOUNDMAN.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AlcWzrd] ALCWZRD.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WUSB54Gv4] C:\Program Files\Linksys Wireless-G USB Wireless Network Monitor\InvokeSvc3.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Easy-PrintToolBox] C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-PrintToolBox\BJPSMAIN.EXE /logon
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SiteAdvisor] C:\Program Files\SiteAdvisor\4979\SiteAdv.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MWLExe] C:\Program Files\Mcafee\MWL\MWLGui.exe /Start
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [McENUI] C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\MHN\McENUI.exe /hide
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [McAfee Backup] C:\Program Files\McAfee\MBK\McAfeeDataBackup.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MBkLogOnHook] C:\Program Files\McAfee\MBK\LogOnHook.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SpyHunter] C:\Program Files\Enigma Software Group\SpyHunter\SpyHunter.exe -scan
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MskAgentexe] C:\Program Files\McAfee\MSK\MskAgent.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [msnmsgr] "C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe" /background
    O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: HP Digital Imaging Monitor.lnk = C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
    O8 - Extra context menu item: &Windows Live Search - res://C:\Program Files\Windows Live Toolbar\msntb.dll/search.htm
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Add to Windows &Live Favorites - http://favorites.live.com/quickadd.aspx
    O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_03\bin\npjpi142_03.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_03\bin\npjpi142_03.dll
    O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
    O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Shdocvw.dll
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - %windir%\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe (file missing)
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - %windir%\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe (file missing)
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O11 - Options group: [INTERNATIONAL] International*
    O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=http://www.virgin.net
    O16 - DPF: {0EB0E74A-2A76-4AB3-A7FB-9BD8C29F7F75} (CKAVWebScan Object) - http://www.kaspersky.com/kos/eng/par...an_unicode.cab
    O18 - Protocol: msnim - {828030A1-22C1-4009-854F-8E305202313F} - "C:\PROGRA~1\MSNMES~1\msgrapp.dll" (file missing)
    O18 - Protocol: siteadvisor - {3A5DC592-7723-4EAA-9EE6-AF4222BCF879} - C:\Program Files\SiteAdvisor\4979\SiteAdv.dll
    O20 - Winlogon Notify: igfxcui - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\igfxsrvc.dll
    O23 - Service: AOL Spyware Protection Service (AOLService) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\AOL Spyware Protection\\aolserv.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
    O23 - Service: AVG Anti-Spyware Guard - Anti-Malware Development a.s. - C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\guard.exe
    O23 - Service: McAfee E-mail Proxy (Emproxy) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\McAfee\EmProxy\emproxy.exe
    O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
    O23 - Service: MBackMonitor - - C:\Program Files\McAfee\MBK\MBackMonitor.exe
    O23 - Service: McAfee HackerWatch Service - McAfee, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\HackerWatch\HWAPI.exe
    O23 - Service: McAfee Log Manager (McLogManagerService) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\MSC\mclogsrv.exe
    O23 - Service: McAfee Update Manager (mcmispupdmgr) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\MSC\mcupdmgr.exe
    O23 - Service: McAfee Network Agent (McNASvc) - McAfee, Inc. - c:\program files\common files\mcafee\mna\mcnasvc.exe
    O23 - Service: McAfee Scanner (McODS) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcods.exe
    O23 - Service: McAfee Protection Manager (mcpromgr) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\MSC\mcpromgr.exe
    O23 - Service: McAfee Proxy Service (McProxy) - McAfee, Inc. - c:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\mcafee\mcproxy\mcproxy.exe
    O23 - Service: McAfee Redirector Service (McRedirector) - McAfee, Inc. - c:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\mcafee\redirsvc\redirsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: McAfee Real-time Scanner (McShield) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcshield.exe
    O23 - Service: McAfee SystemGuards (McSysmon) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcsysmon.exe
    O23 - Service: McAfee Task Scheduler (McTskshd.exe) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\MSC\mctskshd.exe
    O23 - Service: McAfee User Manager (mcusrmgr) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\MSC\mcusrmgr.exe
    O23 - Service: McAfee Personal Firewall Service (MpfService) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\Program Files\McAfee\MPF\MPFSrv.exe
    O23 - Service: McAfee Privacy Service (MPS9) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\MPS\mps.exe
    O23 - Service: McAfee SpamKiller Service (MSK80Service) - McAfee Inc. - C:\Program Files\McAfee\MSK\MskSrver.exe
    O23 - Service: McAfee Wireless Network Security Service (MWLSvc) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Mcafee\MWL\MwlSvc.exe
    O23 - Service: SiteAdvisor Service - McAfee, Inc. - C:\Program Files\SiteAdvisor\4979\SAService.exe
    O23 - Service: WUSB54Gv4SVC - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Linksys Wireless-G USB Wireless Network Monitor\WLService.exe" "WUSB54Gv4.exe (file missing)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_JAk3 View Post
    Hi

The scanners didn't detect any new malware. It is looking clean now. You could try if the 'HP-User' works now but I doubt it. It seems to be a corrupted user profile. It would be difficult/impossible to find out what is messed up. The easiest thing would be to start using that new 'Anita' profile. You can move all you important files to the new account.

You could post a one more HijackThis log but this time take it in the normal mode with 'Anita'

Hi

Well I have posted my HiJack File log as requested (for desktop, in normal mode under Anita). I hope everything is ok. Some of my friends say that formatting is the way to go (dunno what this means?) to repair the corrupted user file.....what do you think? Is it worth buying a new windows software package and reinstalling? For peace of mind I need to know that when you say my computer is clean does that apply in all user modes?

Security Expert-Emeritus

Hi, looks good

You can fix this leftover with HijackThis:

Looks clean but the 'HP-User' is a corrupted profile. So I recommend that you start using the anita account which works normally. You can move your important files from 'HP-User' to 'Anita'. Here is some instructions for that if needed -> How to copy data from a corrupted user profile to a new profile

Then formatting means that everything is erased from your harddrive and then you install everything again. It is a lot work to do. I don't see why it would be necessary because the new account is working.

Now you can clean AVG's Quarantine:
    • Open AVG Anti-Spyware
    • Click Infections
    • Click Quarantine tab
    • Click Select all
    • Click Remove finally
    • Close the program

You can remove the tools we used.

Then you should update your Java to the latest version (6.0)
    • Start
    • Control Panel
    • Add/Remove Programs
    • Delete the old Java, Java 2 Runtime Environment, SE v1.4.2_03
    • Download the latest version of Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6.0.
    • Scroll down to where it says "The J2SE Runtime Environment (JRE) allows end-users to run Java applications."
    • Click the "Download" button to the right.
    • Check the box that says: "Accept License Agreement."
    • The page will refresh.
    • Click on the link to download Windows Offline Installation with or without Multi-language and save to your desktop.
    • Install it

Now you can make your hidden files hidden again.
    • Go to My Computer
    • Select the Tools menu and click Folder Options
    • Click the View tab.
    • Checkmark the "Display the contents of system folders"
    • Under the Hidden files and folders select "Show hidden files and folders"
    • Check "Hide protected operating system files"
    • Click Apply and then the OK and close My Computer.

=============

Now that you seem to be clean, please follow these simple steps in order to keep your computer clean and secure:
    • Clear your system restore
      This will clear the system restore folders from possible malware that was left behind during the cleaning process.
    • Use ATF Cleaner
      Download and install ATF Cleaner. Clean your temporary files & folders with it regularly.
    • Use Ad-Aware
      Download and install Ad-Aware. Update it and scan your computer regularly with it.
    • Use AVG Anti-Spyware
      Update it and scan your computer regularly with it.
    • Use Spybot S&D
      Download and install Spybot S&D. Update it and scan your computer regularly with it.
    • Install SpywareBlaster
      SpywareBlaster will prevent spyware from being installed.
    • Install MVPS Hosts file
      This prevents your computer from connecting to harmful sites.
    • Use Firefox browser
      Firefox is faster, safer and better browser than Internet Explorer.
    • Keep your systen up-to-date
      Visit Windows Update regularly.
    • Keep your antivirus and firewall up-to-date
      Scan your computer regularly with your antivirus.
    • Read this article by TonyKlein
      So how did I get infected in the first place?
    • Stand Up and Be Counted !
      The site offers people who have been (or are) victims of malware the opportunity to document their story and, in that way, launch a complaint against the malware and the makers of the malware.

Stay clean and be safe