Thread: spybot closes when starting.

Default spybot closes when starting.

I have recently downloaded the spybot product to try and eliminate a problem
    that started on Dec. 26th. I have installed the spybot 1.4 onto a WinXP SP2 comp. I have also installed counterspy, AVG antispyware and AVG free AVS. I can run these without issue. When starting spybot I get to the main screen briefly but before I can run the updates it will close the program.

I also have the exact same problem with another program called cccleaner. I have been able to start the program without issue in safemode. But if I go back into normal mode spybot will not stay open.

Anybody have this problem????

mlww2

Hello,

Some users have reported that they only had problems using the beta version but that the final version would work normally. Have you already tried the final version 1.4? (The reason why you don't see it in the integrated update is because we are still preparing an automatic upgrade process for the new version.) If you like, you can install it manually. Please uninstall the old version of Spybot-S&D before you install the new version:

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/faq/27.html

Please don't forget to manually delete the "Updates" and "Includes" folders in the Spybot S&D program folder. You will find links to several download locations on our website. These mirrors are partners who provide places to host Spybot-S&D for us. You can download from one of them, it's secure: http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html

Please search for new updates after installing Spybot-S&D 1.4.

Or are you using a computer with hyperthreading technology (Intel with HTT)? Spybot-S&D seems to have problems with this technology but we cannot confirm a general problem with HT technology because the software runs normally on our test systems.

One user has reported that turning off Norton Antivirus solved the problem. We are using Norton Antivirus, too, and haven't experienced any problems.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Well I unistalled as you mentioned in your thread deleted the directorys. Re-installed from your links and still it will shut down right after starting the program. It does not shut down the pc only crashes the spybot program.

There is no error message generated upon closing. The error that I am trying to get rid of is a damn NTVDM CPU error. It pops up all the time after starting the PC. There is a path in the error pointing to c:\documents settings\user\local settings\temp\cmd.exe this keeps generating this error. It must be some form of trojan or malware. Has anyone heard of this and is there a easy fix for this.

I have deleted that file over and over but its regenerated each time.

mlww2