Thread: Stuck on "System Restore" box after scan

Question Stuck on "System Restore" box after scan

I've been having this problem tonight and last weekend. Also the bad checksum one. After having problems last weekend, I tried again tonight, found the same problems and Googled the bad checksum one which led me to this site.

I couldn't see anything in the FAQs about the stuck on "system restore thing" though.

Once I've run the scan it identifies various things found (I used to get that German warning one but it's gone- now I get something about Windows Protection Centre disabled I think - no clue on why, I've not disabled anything). I click on "Fix selected problems", and that box pops up saying it's creating system restore points, it will disappear when done.

Normally, it disappears briefly and flicks back up, then closes for good and a big green tick appears next to the found things.

But tonight and last weekend, it just gets stuck on the "creating system restore points". It's not me being impatient, I've left it ages longer than it normally takes.

Can anyone shed any light? A cookie in advance if you can! [cookie]

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

When fixing problems in Spybot-S&D and a "Creating System Restore Point" dialog is being displayed for more than a few seconds, there may be a Spybot-S&D "Confirmation" dialog hidden behind the "Creating System Restore Point" dialog.

To bring the Spybot-S&D "Confirmation" dialog to the foreground so that it can be answered, do the following:
    • Press and hold the Alt key > hit Tab > if necessary, continue to hit Tab until the Spybot icon is selected > release the Alt key > answer Spybot's Confirmation dialog. The system should complete taking the Restore Point, the "Creating System Restore Point" dialog should clear and Spybot-S&D should continue to fix the problems that were selected to be fix.

What version of Spybot-S&D are you running?
    Please go into Spybot > Help > About.
    • Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.3.
    • Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.4.
    • etc.
    Last edited by md usa spybot fan; 2007-01-20 at 00:11. Reason: Added version question.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Spybot Search & Destroy 1.3 is what I'm using.

I'll try and run it again to see about the dialogue box behind - it has worked fine every week when I've run Spybot, for ages. It was just last week and tonight that it got stuck, so I wasn't sure what had changed.

Thanks for the help, hopefully that'll be it

Edit - OK, nope, that wasn't it. I have the tab for Spybot on my bottom toolbar, and another tab for the pop up window. I tried clicking on the second tab, nothing happened. I clicked back to the first tab, and all I saw was the main Spybot window, no "System restore" box. I tried the Alt+Tab thing, it only shows my two open IE tabs and my YIM chat. No Spybot at all. But if I do Ctrl+Alt+Del to bring up the tasks running, Spybot is listed (once) there.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

I suggest that you should consider upgrading to Spybot 1.4. There are currently six (6) download sites for Spybot-S&D 1.4 here:
    Uninstall Spybot-S&D 1.3:Install Spybot-S&D 1.4:
    • Execute spybotsd14.exe downloaded above.
    • Do not change the default installation path of:
      • C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy
    • Make sure that you update Sptbot-S&D 1.4 before running a scan.

Note: If you upgrade and use TeaTimer be aware of the following:
    There is currently a bug in TeaTimer 1.4. Portions of TeaTimer's popup dialog overlay the "Allow change" and "Deny change" buttons. On my system the very top edges of the "Allow change" button (on the left) and "Deny change" button (on the right) are showing and I am still able to select the options. I also can check "Remember this decision" since it is visible. If no portion of the "Allow change" and "Deny change" buttons are showing, you can answer TeaTimer's popup dialog (English language version) by pressing "A" on your keyboard for "Allow change" or "D" for "Deny change". Note: If you close the dialog without answering "Allow change" or "Deny change" the registry change is denied.

If you can't deal with the problem that way until it is fixed, you can:
    1. Apply one of the workarounds found in the following pinned (Sticky) thread that fixes the pop-up dialog so the buttons are visible:

There are three (3) fixes published in that thread. They are:

1. The ResHacker fix published by ElPiedra here:
      2. The murdo patch published here:

Also republished by RuggeR29 (which I have never tried) here:
      3. The patch originally by SyreneD that I published here:

Also republished by SyreneD himself here:

2. Disable TeaTimer as follows:
      • Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > Resident.
      • Uncheck the following:
        • Resident "TeaTimer" (Protection of over-all system settings) Active.

3. There is also a beta test version of TeaTimer available that overcomes this problem. To download the ßTeaTimer 1.5:
      • Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced mode > Settings > Settings.
      • Page down the option tree until you see a section titled "Web update" (just past half way down).
      • In the "Web update" section check the following option:
        • Display available beta versions.
      • Click Spybot-S&D (left pane).
      • Click Search for Updates (right pane).
      • When the list of available updates appears, check the following item:
        • ßTeaTimer 1.5 - !Resident protection update (798 KB) - 2007-01-05
      • Click Download Updates.

Notes about the patches (b. and c. above):

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.