Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Suggestions

firefox and opera protection like IE has

2 requests:

1. apply updates w/o having to close/reopen spybot
    2. create an email list that sends notification when defs are updated.

if either of these are already implemented, please excuse me for not being able to find this infomation. a pointer would be wonderful.

Esteemed Member

Quote Originally Posted by cheater87
    firefox and opera protection like IE has
    Cheater87: Most of the Immunize protection within Spybot and that of SpywareBlaster is built into Internet Explorer itself, such as cookie blocking and Restricted Sites, these programs simply fill these lists at the click of an icon.

The SDHelper.dll was created at a time before IE 6, when it didn't have pop-ups and other configuration for third-party cookies built-in. See the first couple paragraphs of the following post for a more complete explanation.
    How Spybot-S&D protects against the installation of Spyware/Malware
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=281

As I understand it, Firefox has it's own cookie management which would basically make this redundant. And as stated by SpybotSandra in her post to you, ActiveX isn't currently supported by Firefox, so this would only need protection within IE.
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread...=6224#post6224

Quote Originally Posted by Osc--
    2 requests:

1. apply updates w/o having to close/reopen spybot
    2. create an email list that sends notification when defs are updated.

if either of these are already implemented, please excuse me for not being able to find this infomation. a pointer would be wonderful.
    Osc--: Though this isn't exactly what you asked for, it might help.

1. Schedule an autoupdate late at night if you have broadband. See these two posts for how this is done.
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread...=6911#post6911
    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/faq/30.html

2. If you skim this list of updates, you'll notice they generally release every week on Friday. This has been true for several months now, so an email list would just be a waste of resources.
    http://forums.spybot.info/forumdisplay.php?f=2

Default Suggestion: Root drive selection

Hello,

I have a suggestion for the next version of Spyboy S&D....

Last week I had to fix a computer that was infected with spyware. It was that infected that I could not access the task manager nor could I run another task manager like Merijn's Itty Bitty Process Manager. It was that infected that everything I tried to launch an application(e.g. spybot S&d setup, hijackthis.exe, cwshredder.exe, etc) they would quit straight away with an error message. This would happen to normal to Windows programs as well(e.g. Windows Explorer).

I shut down the computer and pulled out the HDD and put into another machine that had an up to date version of Spybot S&D installed. I first added the root of the other drive(E:) to the Directories setting and run a check for problems scan. Needless to say it didn't find anything....

So my suggestion is the ability to specify the root drive letter for Spybot S&D to search on(including the registry files on that drive) and it would be good if the extra tools e.g. Browser Pages, BHOs, System Startup, etc would use that specified root drive letter to work on.

Exclamation This might be a little off topic - Schedulers capabilities

I didn't get the time to go through all the threads but I'm wondering if someone has asked about the scheduler being capable of securely shredding through the provided templates.

In my case, my computer speeds up by a lot.

e.g. /shredtemps or /shredcustomtemps

Hopefully I made some sense...
    --
    Thanks.
    Last edited by gaganji; 2006-01-21 at 17:37.

Default 3 Details

I have 3 suggestions.

1. This one is the easiest. My suggestion is the people who put this superb, time-honoured, beautifully crafted piece of software together should feel very, very happy for having succeeded in a good job well done. You are a good model for us all. Thank you so much.

2. I am not suggesting any changes with this one either, but I think it is an important piece of reference. In recent months, it seems as though ewido has become very popular as a heavy-duty Trojan killer. ewido is free if it is used only for scans. It takes lots of memory, so people run nighttime scans with it.

ewido does not replace Spybot, because they serve different purposes. But a few days ago I saw an internet reference to this effect: "Well, if ewido didn't find anything, I really doubt that Spybot will." Okay, so it might be an idea to consider people will be asking questions about the respective "territories" of both, and how they might best be used together. Expect confusion. I'm suggesting that a new Spybot version might include this in its FAQs: "I already have ewido. Do I still need Spybot?"

3. This is the only very tiny change I'd like to see. Maybe it's been done, but it hadn't been when last I looked. I have stayed with (well, reverted to) Spybot 1.4rc2b, because of that little bit of text that gets hidden in 1.4 just when I need to see it. It's in the Tea-Timer's warning about registry changes, if I recall. Works perfectly in 1.4rc2b, but in 1.4 you must say yes or no without seeing what you're doing--you're blind right where you need to see.

I know it was addressed at the time. There is no problem using 1.4rc2b, but I have checked a couple of times and noticed it was not changed. Has it been fixed? I am totally happy with Spybot, and I have been a Spybot-user for a long time--ages--so please don't think I'm complaining. This is intended only as a reminder about a very small detail, whenever such things are dealt with. Thanks again for such an excellent program.

Default New interface

I would like for the new Version to have a more attractive interface.

or if not a more attractive interface a more optional interface.

by that i mean for example if u want to add the scehdule or tea timer or host file well u have to go to advance mode. well these 3 features are used alot why not put it in the standard mode?

also if Spybot-search & destroy has a more attractive interface it could mean more ppl using it

but the main thing is for those options

anyone?

well of course having a better interface isn't as important as having better spyware protection

however, it would be nice to have an easier to use interface

Esteemed Member

Placing more items in the initial screen simply adds to the confusion for a new user who's seeing the interface for the first time. This is no doubt why they were left out, until the user had time to absorb the most important items such as Check for problems, Recovery, Immunize and Updates.

You'll note that the Immunize button in the left pane goes directly to that function without requiring Advanced Mode. where it is also found. Are you thinking something like a button for these items, some of which are less dangerous then other features in Tools or Settings?

If so, I tend to agree with adding a Hosts file and possibly a Schedule button, though I'm a bit more concerned about enabling TeaTimer, since it's not easily understood without some background.

I also think the 'View Reports' item should have such a button, since we often ask unknowledgeable people to get a full report and thus force them to enter Advanced Mode. a bad idea in my book.

I'd also like to see the 'Expert button' in the Results screen enabled by default, since I believe this is easier to use then requiring someone to enter Advanced Mode to make basic File sets selections.

In either case, once someone has enabled Advanced Mode, they will never see the warning again. I believe this warning should display every time you enter Advanced Mode, reminding users of the danger of some of these Tools and then returning to Default Mode the next time you enter the program. A check box selection in Settings could disable the warning permanently, but would require the person to find it first, indicating they might have a clue.