Placing more items in the initial screen simply adds to the confusion for a new user who's seeing the interface for the first time. This is no doubt why they were left out, until the user had time to absorb the most important items such as Check for problems, Recovery, Immunize and Updates.

You'll note that the Immunize button in the left pane goes directly to that function without requiring Advanced Mode. where it is also found. Are you thinking something like a button for these items, some of which are less dangerous then other features in Tools or Settings?

If so, I tend to agree with adding a Hosts file and possibly a Schedule button, though I'm a bit more concerned about enabling TeaTimer, since it's not easily understood without some background.

I also think the 'View Reports' item should have such a button, since we often ask unknowledgeable people to get a full report and thus force them to enter Advanced Mode. a bad idea in my book.

I'd also like to see the 'Expert button' in the Results screen enabled by default, since I believe this is easier to use then requiring someone to enter Advanced Mode to make basic File sets selections.

In either case, once someone has enabled Advanced Mode, they will never see the warning again. I believe this warning should display every time you enter Advanced Mode, reminding users of the danger of some of these Tools and then returning to Default Mode the next time you enter the program. A check box selection in Settings could disable the warning permanently, but would require the person to find it first, indicating they might have a clue.