Thread: Suggestions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

i have always disabled the dns client when using hostsfiles without a problem, the only issue i found is if you try to repair the internet connection if you cant browse then you get a message that the dns cache or something like that cant be flushed, but i dont know what that means or if it is important to flush the dns cache. is it necessary to flush the dns cache?

this is from other sites: theeldergeek: As the description above states, it caches Domain Name System (DNS) names for this computer. If disabled, it simply means the system will go upstream to resolve DNS names rather than use the cache.
    is this service needed? no. recommended setting: disabled.

Start this service if you receive a 'DNS Resolver Failed To Flush The Cache' message.

from microsoft: The overall performance of the client computer decreases and the network traffic for DNS queries increases if the DNS resolver cache is deactivated.

The DNS Client service optimizes the performance of DNS name resolution by storing previously resolved names in memory. if the DNS Client service is turned off, the computer can still resolve DNS names by using the network's DNS servers.

does this means our isps dns servers?

from blackviper: It is also needed if using IPSEC.

from hostsman forum: The DNS Client service is not necessary unless the system is used in a large corporate network that uses Active Directory

from mvps: in most cases a large HOSTS file (over 135 kb) tends to slow down the machine. This only occurs in W2000/XP/Vista. Windows 98 and ME are not affected.

When set to Manual you can see that the above "Service" is not needed (after a little browsing) by opening the Services Editor again, scroll down to DNS Client and check the "Status" column. It should be blank, if it was needed it would show "Started" in that column.

The above instructions are intended for a single (home-user) PC. If your machine is part of a "Domain", check with your IT Dept. before applying this work-around. This especially applies to Laptop users who travel or bring their machines home. Make sure to reset the Service (if needed) prior to connecting (reboot required) to your work Domain ...

IPCOP running a DHCP server needs the local PC DNS Client enabled to function

i forgot to say that if i left the dns client running when using spybot hosts mvpshosts and hphosts then everything freezes on my computer, it slows down a bit when using only spybot hostsfile too

Default 1.6 rc1

OK all is good here so far, installed the RC1 over the beta 2 just now and found the things I had questions about working OK now.

1. the screen now opens at the main S&D program screen

2. my disk properties box now opens fast, like it should with the S&D tab removed. this is good cause it wasn't useful anyhow.

As for the speed of scan, its fine by me, I'm used to "slow" lol, I'm even slower than Bill Slowsky, the turtle lololol at least he has DSL, hell I'm still on dial up , smirks. but it seemed to finish the scan pretty fast.

I only have one other deal, which I guess the ones with DSL or cable don't even notice, but why does the program always re update the data base at a new install? I always update to the latest but when installing over another version it never seems to see it and always re downloads the main base again.

Also I still would like a new GUI, or maybe someone has a new skin that looks more like a modern AV type look with 3d bubble buttons.

anyway good deal, it fixed the few items I wanted.

Last edited by HOODYE8; 2008-06-29 at 20:05.

great if spybot would have right click scanning and was able to scan all drives like the dvd drives.

Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)

thanks pepimk

maybe the full spybot scan also should scan cd/dvd drives for optimal protection.

Wink yet another straw on the back

Lol, what would it scan on a Linux liveCDvD?

Seriously .. would another tab in <app>/Settings/Ignore products specifically for *only* checked items make sense? That way casual users need not comb the other tabs or the rather lengthy All products tab for the possibly few checked products ignored. Sometimes a product may be selected to exclude rather than a single detection and it is an eye-crosser to run that checked excluded/ignored product down on the Ignore products page as-is.