Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Suggestions

Default Client Protection

Does spybot protect ITSELF?
    I imagine since so many people use it, at some point some clever spyware writer will try and quietly disable it, just like they do with windows firewall.GRRRRRRR!
    If not, maybe it should. I know some expensive security progs do this and some don't.I don't know how you would go about it but if you checked things like file locations and exact sizes you could maybe see if something had been tampered with??
    Just an idea.

Default Suggestions for Spybot 1.5

I hope that Spybot will look more streamlined, and better in its detection for spyware. TeaTimer should also improve such that it can be much user friendly. TeaTimer in Spybot 1.4 is a bit complicated to understand and use.

@666666: there are multiple levels of self-protection; from those that detect if the executables have been changed (both simply through the Authenticode certificate, as well as through our own checks); on Windows Vista, we integrate into the Windows Security Center which will warn if Spybot-S&D gets inactive, and a few more.

@darkdestiny, Despise_Spyware, Chaos17: well, the looks... I admit I tend to look more at functionality than at looks The 1.5 GUI won't have a lot of UI changes; but the 2.0 UI will be completely redesigned, and that redesign should start next weel.

@boyscout: new TeaTimer has an option to get disabled in the context menu.

@Reggie Stry: there'll be an extra page on the website for beta overviews

**JameS**: getting fingerprints out of other software is a huuuuuge copyright violation.

@unsure: parental control? Hmmm... parts of Spybot-S&D (Settings, Tools) can be protected through a password... that's undocumented though

@LeAd DiAg: when the entries where created cannot be determined from looking at the registry (a registry key has some additional information, registry values do not). But there's the snapshot mechanism - right-click many of the Tools lists, and you can create a snapshot. Every change after that will be highlighted in bold until you make the next snapshot.

Also, for not having to check each entry, RunAlyzer might be a better choice, since it has some better classification mechanism, and will replace the Tools section in 2.0.

@anonymous user: font has actually been changed to Tahoma as wished for

@BrainDedd: smaller updates have also been implemented months ago, just didn't reply here yet

@Osc: whether you have to close/reopen depends on the type of updates. Some just need restarts, e.g. for .exe and .dll updates.

Mailing lists have been planed for years, just never have been set up really
    As noel-pr7 said though, the fixed day (currently Wednesday, because it gives a better response time in case of problems than Friday) makes it easy.

@wceti: there were interim versions of 1.4, and 1.5 will support additionally attached harddisk from the scratch: it will search all drives for Windows installations, and then will be able to scan files and even the registry of those inactive installations. This works without any changes when booting Windows PE (Bart PE...), or when specifying /allhives when starting Spybot-S&D.

@Osc: Scheduled updates: should be even easier now due to separate SDUpdate.exe

Guess I should try to give answers more in time to show that I actually read this
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)

Would be nice to add Safari to list of browser of immunize. Thanks and keep up the great work.

Since I've thought about Safari myself, I've created a feature request for this. Vote there if you want it implemented

I've also added some comments there on why it might take some time, and what kind of information would speed things up

Just to add about the latest 1.5.1.16 and additional file patches and reg-patch for floppy-seek at startup.

The patched & regfile imported system, it still seeks for floppy at startup & update.

& are there more people using SS&D & Spywareblaster ?
    Since immunizing using SS&D1.5, spywareblaster takes a much longer time checking the Mozilla/Firefox protections enabled.
    Last edited by Korrel; 2007-09-25 at 17:01.

I use spywareblaster and notice no changes, but, I use IE!

I also have updated things, and still have floppy seek too

Also, "and additional file patches" isn't really descriptive, could you name all the files you've used (not necessarily now, I reproduced the problem, but in general )?

Also, if the patch doesn't work, please report it in the project tools entry, not in this place for suggestions, so it won't go unnoticed.
    I'm going to check that stuff again...

I need to step out, but will be back soon to test this and report for you, in the other thread

Sorry if I wasn't too clear about the patches, I used all of them from http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=17886

Anyway, PepiMK you updated the regfile, now it works, no more floppy checking !!