Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Teatimer.exe eating up all my processing capacity

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Teatimer.exe eating up all my processing capacity

Hi there,

I have been using the tea-timer resident protection for quite some time now, but I recently noticed that teatimer.exe tends to eat up all my processing capacity at times (up to 99% of it to be exact). It's not just every now and then, but virtually every time I check in task manager...
    I was wondering if this is normal or if it's just because I am using task manager or if it is something I should be concerned about...

I'm sorry if this is just normal or has been asked before, I couldn't find any info on this problem whether on this forum or the web in general..

Thanks a lot in advance for any help!!!

specs: Windows XP Home SP2, Pentium 4 CPU, 2.80GHz, 1GB Ram

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

TeaTimer Version 1.4.0.2
    Windows XP Home SP2, Pentium 4 CPU, 2.40GHz, 512MB Ram

On my system TeaTimer appears to be quite CPU intensive when starting. However, after that it appears to settle down using very little CPU Time.

Accumulated CPU Time used by TeaTimer:
    • Within the first minute from the start of TeaTimer: 17 Seconds of CPU Time (CPU utilization 100% while TeaTimer started).
    • After 30 minutes: 31 Seconds of CPU Time.
    • After 1 Hour: 44 Seconds of CPU Time.

After the initial start of TeaTimer on my system, TeaTimer Version 1.4.0.2 uses less than 1% CPU utilization.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Quote Originally Posted by md usa spybot fan View Post
    TeaTimer Version 1.4.0.2
    Windows XP Home SP2, Pentium 4 CPU, 2.40GHz, 512MB Ram

On my system TeaTimer appears to be quite CPU intensive when starting. However, after that it appears to settle down using very little CPU Time.

Accumulated CPU Time used by TeaTimer:
    • Within the first minute from the start of TeaTimer: 17 Seconds of CPU Time (CPU utilization 100% while TeaTimer started).
    • After 30 minutes: 31 Seconds of CPU Time.
    • After 1 Hour: 44 Seconds of CPU Time.

After the initial start of TeaTimer on my system, TeaTimer Version 1.4.0.2 uses less than 1% CPU utilization.

Theoretically speaking, with 256MB RAM, would that then be doubled to 2% useage?

hmmm, I just noticed that a few (7 or so) seconds after opening the task manager, the CPU usage by tea timer goes down to zero again. But it does go up to 99% nearly every time before settling again...strange..must be something to do with task manager.

but it seems like I may just have been a little paranoid about the whole thing...after all, it doesn't really slow me down noticeably, so I suppose it should be fine.

Thanks for your help!
    Last edited by Pietzki; 2007-01-25 at 00:48.

Esteemed Member

Among other things TeaTimer is a Process Monitor, as is Task Manager. Any time you start a new process TeaTimer will examine it to determine whether it's known to be malicious, etc. which will of course cause some processor utilization.

While Task Manager is open, try starting another application like Internet Explorer or anything else for that matter. You should see TeaTimer jump up in utilization to some extent and then eventually drop back to a minimal level. Since it's always performing some background operations, it's almost always creating a small amount of processor utilization.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Pietzki:

Also note that my statistics were "CPU Time" which I feel is a better measure over a long period of time than spot glimpses of "CPU" utilization. To produce the statistic that published, I altered my Windows Task Manager to show "CPU Time" by doing the following:
    • While in Windows Task Manager > Processes tab.
    • I went into View > Select Columns…
    • Then added "CPU Time" by checking it and clicking "OK".

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Quote Originally Posted by md usa spybot fan View Post
    Pietzki:
    Also note that my statistics were "CPU Time" which I feel is a better measure over a long period of time than spot glimpses of "CPU" utilization. To produce the statistic that published, I altered my Windows Task Manager to show "CPU Time" by doing the following:
    • While in Windows Task Manager > Processes tab.
    • I went into View > Select Columns…
    • Then added "CPU Time" by checking it and clicking "OK".
    thanks, I have added cpu time to be displayed in task manager... and I noticed that it does seem a little extreme: right now (I started my pc up about 5 min ago) teatimer is showing 3min 26sec CPU time and counting... and it doesn't show any signs of slowing down...

hey it just stopped at 3:53, that seems a lot too much especially with a 2.8GHz processor... Is there any way to find out what is causing this?

my dad (he's the one using this computer) has also complained that recently the pc has been slow, could this be the cause? I am fairly sure that it is free of malware, but I might run some scans anyway...

Default tea timer exe

Since downloading the latest updates from spybot S&D, every time I try to close down the computer, it hangs and tells me to cancelteatimer.exe. ???????????? What shall I do please?

Default TeaTimer.exe hanging

I have the same problem, since the recent TeaTimer update

Have a look at the TeaTimer doesn't work after Update thread on this page.
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=32956

Is this the problem you're having?
    Spybot 1.6.2.46, Resident SDHelper ON, TeaTimer Resident ON
    XP sp3, IE7. Pentium 2GHz, 2GB RAM