Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ran Spybot, now IE and Outlook CRASH

Default Ran Spybot, now IE and Outlook CRASH

I've been running Spybot on my laptop the past few days and since it seemed to be a good product, I tried it on my PC. I installed it last night, did all the routines, ran a scan, fixed problems, etc. It worked fine last night. Today I fire my computer up and my Outlook and IE immediately crash on fire up. I tried eliminating variables and finally determined that certain websites cause the crash, but I'm not sure why they do. When Outlook opened, it brought up the last email, which was in html form. At this point I've already totally uninstalled Spybot and tried some different restore points to no avail. I can run IE on certain websites, and others kill it.

I tried turning off the teatimer, turning off the resident protection, virus scans, etc...nothing works so far. Any ideas?

hello,

it would help if you told us which operating system you run and which versions of Outlook, Internet Explorer and Spybot S&D you used.

Are you running plugins/add-ons for Outlook/Internet Explorer?
    Did you unimmunize before you uninstalled Spybot S&D?
    And which websites are involed in this issue?
    born in the shadow to die in the shadow, that is the fate of the shinobi

Spybot S&D Downloads

Please help us improve Spybot and download our distributed testing client.

I was running Windows XP SP2 and IE7 with all current updates.
    Outlook is 2003 (11.8169.8172)
    Spybot is 1.5 or whatever the latest version is, I just downloaded and installed it two nights ago.

No plugins/addons that I'm aware of although I run Avast. Is there an easy way to see what add-ons I might have?

Some of the websites that seemed to trigger the crash were www.drudgereport.com, these forums, www.indystar.com, actually it's easier to tell you which ones do work.

The crash in both cases is very quick and the pages just start to get loaded.

Last night I did an uninstall of IE7, tried IE6, tried another restore point, and even reinstalled Spybot all to no avail.

Also, on my first restart after installing, running, and cleaning with Spybot, chkdisk ran at startup. This has never happened to me before.
    Last edited by Z34Lee; 2007-10-19 at 13:10.

Question

XP Version 5.1 Build 2600 SP2
    IE Version 6.0.2900 SP2
    Spybot Version 1.5.1.15 Destion update 10/10/2007

After updating spybot I had a problem with IE opening. The ieexploere.exe process was present in Task Manager but didn't open a window.

First I disabled third party extensions and IE started working. I then reenable third party extensions and disabled Spybot "Resident IE". Now it works perfectly as far as I can tell. Spybot seems to be fully function though not resident in IE.

Maybe this would fix your IE and Outlook problem?

Thanks,

Shok

Any ideas? I'm pretty lost on this one and it's making my computer quite inoperable.

Quote Originally Posted by QShok View Post
    XP Version 5.1 Build 2600 SP2
    IE Version 6.0.2900 SP2
    Spybot Version 1.5.1.15 Destion update 10/10/2007

After updating spybot I had a problem with IE opening. The ieexploere.exe process was present in Task Manager but didn't open a window.

First I disabled third party extensions and IE started working. I then reenable third party extensions and disabled Spybot "Resident IE". Now it works perfectly as far as I can tell. Spybot seems to be fully function though not resident in IE.

Maybe this would fix your IE and Outlook problem?

Thanks,

Shok
    There is a confirmed incompatibility with the Googletoolbar and SDHelper when using the Internet Explorer 6.
    A current workaround to this issue it to upgrade to Internet Explorer 7 or disable one of the browser add-ons within Internet Explorer 6.
    If you encounter this issue with other add-ons please report this, so we can find a solution to this issue.

@Z34Lee

A simple to check for browser add-ons on your Internet Explorer, one is within the Internet Explorer itself: go to "Tools" - "Manage add-ons"
    Since Outlook uses the Internet Explorer to display html emails this issue appears to be centered around the IE.
    The websites you posted did not appear to have content that could cause Outlook or IE to crash.
    It is also possible that malware or a defect harddisk is responsible for the crashes.

Did chkdisk came up with anything? To make sure that your harddisk is ok, you may want to check it with a drivetest tool from your harddisk vendor.

To check if malware is involed please create a Spybot S&D report file, to do this switch Spybot S&D into advanced mode, then:
    • navigate to 'tools' - 'view report'
    • have all checkboxes marked
    • click on the green 'view report' button
    • export the report to a textfile and attach it to your nex post or email it to detections-at-spybot.info (replace -at- with @)

Spybot S&D Downloads

I have run IE without add-ons and still get the same crash.

I agree that the problem is IE related, it only crashes Outlook when viewing certain html emails.

I don't believe that the problem is malware related.

Chkdsk did find errors when it ran impromptu. I have since run scan disk, but I'm not sure if errors came up since it's a long process and I was out of the room at the time.

I will try to find a drivetest tool of some sort.

I will also reinstall Spybot again and post a report here.

Thank you for your help.

Also, the error I get is due to kernel32.dll in both cases.

I installed Spybot once again and ran it. My report is too large to attach to a post so I emailed it to the address you provided.

I get issues with the new version of Spybot S&D as well, on IE6 and 7, On comcast, when they went to their new format for their website for isp, the Spybot keeps the flash and other things required to come up for the logon, not to come up, I had to go into IE and disable anything related to Spybot to let IE work with the new Comcast.net isp web pages to be able to logon.

I hope their is a fix for this issue soon. As of now I have uninstalled Spybot to keep the issues from happening, and it is not good.

Quote Originally Posted by Vulcan219 View Post
    I get issues with the new version of Spybot S&D as well, on IE6 and 7, On comcast, when they went to their new format for their website for isp, the Spybot keeps the flash and other things required to come up for the logon, not to come up, I had to go into IE and disable anything related to Spybot to let IE work with the new Comcast.net isp web pages to be able to logon.

I hope their is a fix for this issue soon. As of now I have uninstalled Spybot to keep the issues from happening, and it is not good.

Hello, what you describe is the blocking feature of the SDHelper. Within the IE you can configure the SDHelper in - Tools - Spybot S&D Configuration
    to ask for blocking confirmation.
    Comcast appears to be using known adservers from doubleclick and atdmt , if you allow these you will see the ads on your comcast website again and should also be able to fully access the website. You can also disable the SDHelper in Spybot S&D advanced mode - tools - resident, this would require the IE to be restarted.

Spybot S&D Downloads