Thread: very long scan time

Default very long scan time

when i initially installed spybot all was well and scanned in abt 15 mins , my scan now gets as far as the ad-goblin stage (about 5mins into scan) then all but stops speeds up again mid way the at the cool web search stage all but stoips again and a scan now takes nearly 24 hrs, i have uninstalled and reinstalled, carried out a advanced registry repair and still no change has any one got any ideas as spybot has become all but un usabe,.. i have avg free on the computer but removed this and tried running spybot it was the same so it appears not to be a compatabiltiy problem.... please help!!!!

Hello,

Many users have reported a problem after the advanced check library update (version 1.5) from the 2007-01-12:
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=10443/_
    The scan was much faster before, now it takes longer than one hour.
    But we were able to fix the problem yet. You can download the new update here:
    http://www.spybotupdates.com/updates...d_advcheck.exe
    Now your Spybot - Search & Destroy should scan as usual.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Default still not fixed

thank you for your response, i used your link to update. now its worse it just stops at 5484/57664 ad goblin as b4 but now , thtas it just freezes.have you any other suggestions, this problem started about 6 months ago and the scan has just got worse and worse which is a real shame as i had found to spybot to be an excellent tool before this problem. if you have any further suggestions i would appreciate it, but please im very new to the computer world so , could you keep it as simple as possible .. again thanking you in advance

Hello,

This could be caused by several reasons like an old Spybot version, too much temporary files or problems with the system restore point.

In case you are using a dated version of Spybot-S&D, as a first solution, please download the latest version Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.4. This should fix the problem. You will find links to several download locations for this new version on our web site:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html
    Please search for new updates after installing Spybot S&D 1.4.

If this doesn't help please delete the contents of your Windows temp folder and try it again: For that purpose, please run Spybot-S&D and switch to "Advanced mode" via the menu bar item "Mode". Now select "Tools" --> "Secure Shredder" from the navigation bar on the left. There select "Add files from temp folder" from the drop down menu on the top (hit the small arrow next to templates). Then "Chop it away!"

You can also try the following:
    - select "Settings" --> "Settings" in the navigation bar on the left and untick the checkbox in front of "display confirmation dialogs"
    - exit Spybot-S&D so the settings are saved
    - run Spybot-S&D and "Check for problems" again

Expect it to run slowly, it appears to hang. Please be patient - it should clear with the problems fixed.

If it still doesn't work please select "Settings" --> "Settings" from the toolbar on the left. In the section "Main settings" please untick the checkbox in front of "Create system restore point when fixing spyware/usage tracks".

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Default spybot running slow

again thank you for your speedy response,,, a fantastic service....... the version i have is the latest version, so i will try your other options,, you prob wont hear from me for a while now as it will take me for ages to work through it ,lol again thank you

Default still ongoing

now im really in trouble .. at the stage where i have ticked off the dialouges box and tried that, ,,,exactly the same prob stopped at the same point 5484 ad goblin and now my hard drive is whiring like a good un, timer on curser is constantly on. i have been patiebt but can you qualify just how patient one needs to be ,,,,,,,rerally sorry to be a pain in the butt....... but im at the just throw the ********** thing out the window stage

Default still the same again

the final advice i cant do as the create system restore bit is for win xp only ???