Thread: Locking my Host File

Question Locking my Host File

Hi. When I check off the Host File against hijacherks's box it looks like it works. However, when i exit from SS&D and open it up againt my check mark is gone.

Does it mean I am hijacked, already? Any solution?
    I have Panda Antivirus.
    Thanks

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

When you go into Spybot's IE tweaks page and check the following item, Spybot locks the HOSTS file by setting it to Read-only status:
    • Lock Hosts file read-only as protection against hijackers

See if you can set the Read-only attribute on the HOSTS file manually. Using Windows Explorer, navigate to the HOSTS file located in one of the following directories:
    • Win 95/98/ME = C:\WINDOWS
    • Windows 2K = C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC
    • Windows XP = C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC

Right clicking on the HOSTS file > select Properties > in the General tab > check the Read-only (in Attributes near the bottom) > then click OK.

Are you able to set the Read-only attribute manually? If not it may not be a hijacking, it may just be other protective software that you are running. What other protective software are you running (Internet Security, Anti-spyware, Firewalls, etc.)?

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Thumbs up It works!

Are you able to set the Read-only attribute manually? If not it may not be a hijacking, it may just be other protective software that you are running. What other protective software are you running (Internet Security, Anti-spyware, Firewalls, etc.)?
    YES! It works. I set the Read-only manually as you said. Then I went to SS&D and the check mark was set, already.

As far as softwares go I'm running Panda Titanium & firewall, Ad-Adware & SS&D. Panda's firewall it set at the defaul firewall. However, I'm thinking to change it. The reason is that no matter what, my speed has being kind the too slow under DSL. Ii's just (86-126Kbps). It's should be (384-1536 Kbps) and so far not clue about what should i do next.

You rock! Thank you very much.