Thread: How can I disable Resident popup alerts?

Default How can I disable Resident popup alerts?

I get quite a few alerts above the system tray about 'Registry changes allowed' based upon my whitelist. These have proliferated as I have added applications to the startup list and so on.

There is no reason for me to see them as they are not dialog boxes, and I have already made the changes anyway. I get as many as 7 at a time, and it has become a little annoying.

I have not discovered a way to shut this particular feature off. Is it possible to do so?

Thanks.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

If you are getting these messages at system startup or user logon, the cause of the problem could be because TeaTimer's snapshot files are out of sync with the registry. TeaTimer takes snapshots of Registry entries and compares these with the Registry at startup. Until these snapshots are updated you are likely to get pop-ups (at startup) of changes you made in the past. In other words, TeaTimer attempts to return the Registry to the state it was in when the snapshots were taken.

The solution to the problem is to refresh TeaTimer's snapshot files. To refresh TeaTimer's snapshot files:
    • Exit TeaTimer:
      • Right click Spybot's TeaTimer System Tray Icon > click Exit Spybot-S&D Resident.
      • TeaTimer closes.
      • TeaTimer's snapshot files are refreshed at this time.
    • Restart TeaTimer:
      • Using Windows Explorer, navigate to C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy.
      • Double click TeaTimer.exe to start it.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Thanks for your reply, md usa.

I followed your suggested fix, and then restarted the computer. It eliminated most of the alerts - Spy Sweeper, which loads at startup, being one of the exceptions for some reason.

I use Window Washer regularly to clean out the junk, and every time I opened it, Spybot would give me the alert. (WW does not load at startup, by the way.) Spybot does not seem to give me that alert anymore. It was harmless of course, but annoying.

Let me add that I had tried switching back to the Default mode from Advanced mode in the hopes that this might somehow reset Tea Timer, but no luck.

Thanks for your help.

Also, while I am thinking of it, Spybot proper only comes up either full screen, or minimized to the system tray. The middle Restore icon or whatever it is called in the top right corner of the main page does not allow the application to appear in the 1/4 screen size or so, the way windows normally can appear.

Is there a straightforward fix for this bug?

Quote Originally Posted by quabbin View Post
    Is there a straightforward fix for this bug?
    See the following post:

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Thanks, that seemed to do the trick.

This solution for removing the unwanted "Registry change allowed" message boxes does not work for me since the programs I use (and receive notices) are not turned on (or entered at their "installed" location) at startup.

My problem may be unique but it is very annoying. Many times when I "activate" or "deactivate" programs that are virtually installed (via Software Virtualization Solution), I get the unwanted message. Is there some way to eliminate this while still using Tea Timer?

Thanks for any suggestions,
    Ray

raygk:

Whenever TeaTimer process a registry change a pop-up notification is issued in the lower right hand corner of the screen, whether it is in response to the your entries in the interactive pop-up dialog or due to entries in its "White & Black List" that were placed there by you using "Remember this decision" on a previous interactive pop-up dialog.

There is currently no option within TeaTimer to eliminate whose "Registry change allowed" or " Registry change denied" notification messages.

Thanks for your prompt response.

It seems that such an option as one to avoid getting repeated messages "Registry change allowed" would be very handy. The message serves no useful purpose since you have already made the decision to allow the change. It only hinders seeing data/windows on the screen and causes the user to wonder if something on interest is going on. Such an option could allow the messages or abort them. I hope SB - S&D will consider this and include it in the near future. If I find a location for suggestions to the SB team, I'll make it.

Thanks again,
    Ray