Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Freezing during scan and while shredding

Default Freezing during scan and while shredding

I have been trying to run a S&D scan for the past 2 days and just cannot get it to work. Everytime I run a scan it freezes up on QQRob, about 3/5 of the way through and even after leaving it for half an hour, it still gets stuck there. I googled around and found another post that said to secure shred all windows temp files and when I try to import those, it freezes up there too and takes away all of my system resources forcing me to shut it down the the taskmgr.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling multiple times now and tried multiple mirrors so I know I have a clean install..

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

If Secure Shredder freezes on temp files,you could try clearing temp files using disk cleanup,and see if that helps the Spybot scan any.

Unhappy Freezing during scan

I just upgraded from Spybot 1.3 to 1.4 and with my scan, the same thing happened. It freezes on 49219/62480; QQRob

Seems this must somehow relate to a bug, hope sysop reviews this forum

Quote Originally Posted by mikeb View Post
    I just upgraded from Spybot 1.3 to 1.4 and with my scan, the same thing happened. It freezes on 49219/62480; QQRob

Seems this must somehow relate to a bug, hope sysop reviews this forum
    Thats exactly where mine freezes as well...

Also, I tried disk cleanup and running it again, still freezes up

Default I have the same problem!

The same thing is happening to me. I've tried uninstalling and re-installing and cleaning my registry and temp files but nothing seems to help.

I was going to try running spybot in safe mode to see if that would work and it won't start in safe mode. It tries and then says that it was interupted and asks me to start in regular mode.

Does anyone out there have any suggestions? PLEASE HELP!

Default I found a solution!

I followed this advice (which I found on another spybot forum) and it worked:

Spybot S&D 1.3 was known to do this on HTT systems. If you have 1.3, get 1.4 by clicking the Download link on the menu bar at the top of this page. There is also a Tutorial link under Support on the left hand side of that same page that explains Installation and First run.

If you already have Spybot S&D 1.4 or it doesn't fix the problem, this is a rare situation that hasn't been explained yet. You can do the following to get a scan to work, but you'll have to do it each time you use the program.

Here is how:

Open Spybot, then leave it alone
    Open Task Manager, and go to the Processes tab
    Right-click on SpybotSD.exe, and choose "Set Affinity..."
    On the box that comes up, check/uncheck boxes so that ONLY "CPU 0" is checked.
    Go back to the already-open Spybot, and run a scan. It should complete without hanging or losing responsiveness.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

pomak249

Post SpyBot Freezes

I too have a problem with Spybot 1.4., running under XP2.

Until recently no problem, but now when Spybot is called (no other programs running) it fails to load and just hangs, preventing any other program from loading, including Task Manager. The "START/ Turn Off" option also fails to display after 2 or 3 other keybd/mouse actions are taken, and must repower.

I removed most Startup entires in MSConfig and discovered that if DUMeter v3.5 (a download rate meter from Hagel) was NOT loaded, then Spybot would run OK, even if all the other Startup entries were restored. So there appears to be a conflict between these 2 programs.

I took the advice offered on another thread to clean the heat sink of the PC processor, to ensure that it would not overheat, (Spybot is very intensive processor intensive) and stop on thermal protection, which can hapen. It was not dirty anyway , so no improvement in my case.

Can anyone offer any suggestions?

Brian

Default QQBot freeze

Quote Originally Posted by heiditenaya View Post
    I followed this advice (which I found on another spybot forum) and it worked:

Spybot S&D 1.3 was known to do this on HTT systems. If you have 1.3, get 1.4 by clicking the Download link on the menu bar at the top of this page. There is also a Tutorial link under Support on the left hand side of that same page that explains Installation and First run.

If you already have Spybot S&D 1.4 or it doesn't fix the problem, this is a rare situation that hasn't been explained yet. You can do the following to get a scan to work, but you'll have to do it each time you use the program.

Here is how:

Open Spybot, then leave it alone
    Open Task Manager, and go to the Processes tab
    Right-click on SpybotSD.exe, and choose "Set Affinity..."
    On the box that comes up, check/uncheck boxes so that ONLY "CPU 0" is checked.
    Go back to the already-open Spybot, and run a scan. It should complete without hanging or losing responsiveness.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

pomak249

When I right click SpybotSD.exe there is no "set affinity.." choice?
    I updated my Spybot 1.4 with todays new files same problem
    hangs on QQBot except now 49701/63541 instead of the old 49219/62480

Hello,

This can also be done like this:
    Please run Spybot-S&D and switch to "Advanced mode" via the menu bar item "Mode".
    Now select "Settings" -->"Settings" from the navigation bar on the left.
    Under "Main Settings" you will find the point "Scan priority".
    There you should choose "Lower" by ticking the checkbox.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Hello,

About the Secure Shredder Freezing:

Are there big files in your temp folder?
    Some users have reported that the Secure Shredder freeze if they shred big files.
    They also have told us that if they close the tool with the Taskmanager and then open it again,
    some files are shredded and that they could use it normally again after that.
    Can you confirm this?

If you like, we would recommend an other tool for deleting sensitive data. The tool "Eraser".

http://www.heidi.ie/eraser/default.php
    http://www.heidi.ie/eraser/download.php

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot