Thread: Need info about Toolster.MSCheck

Exclamation Need info about Toolster.MSCheck

Folks, today I downloaded some software from a company I've done business with before. During the beginning of the install, TeaTimer popped up with a warning that it had detected a file (SETUP.EXE) that was trying to run (no surprise) and it was trying to install something called Toolster.MSCheck.

[Please forgive me for not phrasing the error exactly.]

Because of my faith in SpyBot, I allowed it to kill the process and told it to warn me if it tried again. However, my curiousity was piqued and I decided to try to find out what Toolster is. If you search Google for it, you get less than a dozen hits and the only significant pages are just statements that Spybot can now detect it as of 02/28/2007.

For an example, please see: http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=11760

The main reason I'm concerned is that Toolster was added to Spybot in Feb 2007, but back in December 2006, I installed some software from that same company I mentioned above and got no warnings (I know, Spybot wasn't aware of that malware at that point) at all.

I *did* find one page in my Google search that listed it in a long group of trojans. I tried searching Symantec's website but they don't even know what it is.

Can someone provide me any info about Toolster? Like a website or something? Specifically, I am hoping to get a search and removal tool for it.

Hi there.

• Open SpyBot.
    • Check for problems.
    • When finished, right click and choose copy results (not the full report) to clipboard and post that into topic.

What is the name of the company you downloaded the software from, and also name of the software itself.

Did you look in Add/Remove Programs to see if the application is listed there.

Regards.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

I'm sorry, I think I wasn't clear.

As a side note, I had mentioned that the process was stopped by SpyBot so nothing was installed. Therefore, because of that, there is nothing to uninstall in Add/Remove Programs.

My main reason for posting was because I am looking for a detection (and removal) tool for the "Toolster.MSCheck" so that I can find out if there is any remaining files left on the computer for it. Additionally, for my own curiosity, I am trying to find out general and specific info about Toolster and what it does, what it looks like, what it messes up, etc.

As you might expect from most malware, there is no listing in A/R Programs (not that I expected one). For all I know, Spybot did stop any infection from taking place, but I'd like a bit more reassurance that that.

Lastly, the software I was trying to install was "Japanese Garden 3D Screen Saver" from Astro Gemini Software (www.astrogemini.com/japanese-garden.html). It was in an offer by www.giveawayoftheday.com. Plus (in case you're wondering), I believe whatever Toolster is, it was added by Astro Gemini, not by GiveAwayOfTheDay.

Frank