Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ITBarlayout Problem

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

cnsublett:

That was the first time I ever suggested that someone use Regmon, so I'm glad you're trying it. I also hope that you are able to capture a registry change and back track it to the source.

Good luck,
    md usa spybot fan

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

vv From a downloadsite for ITBarLayout.reg vv
    ITBarLayout.reg is a registry script that applies a non-standard layout to the Internet and Shell Explorer's Toolbar, removing all third-party toolbars and displaying the Buttons Toolbar at the top of the bar with text captions.

vv From Microsoft Support vv
    RESOLUTION
    WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

To resolve this problem, edit the registry to remove the corrupt value(s).

Close all open Internet Explorer and Windows Explorer windows. Start the Registry Editor (Click Start, Run and enter REGEDIT.EXE).

Go to the following Registry key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar

For Windows Explorer: In the right pane, locate the Explorer sub-key and open it. In the right pane, locate the ITBarLayout value. Right click this value and select Delete.

For Internet Explorer: In the right pane, locate the WebBrowser sub-key and open it. In the right pane, locate the ITBarLayout value. Right click this value and select Delete.

Quit Registry Editor.

Open the affected program (Windows Explorer or Internet Explorer) and verify that you're Menu bar/Toolbar has been restored. If not, close all open Windows Explorer and Internet Explorer Windows and repeat the above step. Then locate the ShellBrowser sub-key, open it and delete the ITBarLayout value there.

Notes: Any Toolbar layout customizations will be undone, and the affected Toolbar will be reset to its default configuration. For Windows Explorer, in Windows XP Home Edition, it may be necessary to re-enable the Address bar in Windows Explorer. To do this open Windows Explorer. Then right click a blank area of the Toolbar or Menu bar and select the Address bar item.

IMPORTANT: This article contains information about modifying the registry. Before you modify the registry, make sure to back it up and make sure that you understand how to restore the registry if a problem occurs. For information about how to back up, restore, and edit the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: 256986 Description of the Microsoft Windows Registry

Default but is it good or bad? :)

From the whole thread, I still don't know if itbarlayout is bad , or are you all saying I should let the system install it? If it is bad, I still have not seen the definitive answer on how to get rid of the annoytance once and for all. Help IS GREATLY appreciated.......

Quote Originally Posted by PBSlayer2 View Post
    vv From a downloadsite for ITBarLayout.reg vv
    ITBarLayout.reg is a registry script that applies a non-standard layout to the Internet and Shell Explorer's Toolbar, removing all third-party toolbars and displaying the Buttons Toolbar at the top of the bar with text captions.

vv From Microsoft Support vv
    RESOLUTION
    WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

To resolve this problem, edit the registry to remove the corrupt value(s).

Close all open Internet Explorer and Windows Explorer windows. Start the Registry Editor (Click Start, Run and enter REGEDIT.EXE).

Go to the following Registry key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar

For Windows Explorer: In the right pane, locate the Explorer sub-key and open it. In the right pane, locate the ITBarLayout value. Right click this value and select Delete.

For Internet Explorer: In the right pane, locate the WebBrowser sub-key and open it. In the right pane, locate the ITBarLayout value. Right click this value and select Delete.

Quit Registry Editor.

Open the affected program (Windows Explorer or Internet Explorer) and verify that you're Menu bar/Toolbar has been restored. If not, close all open Windows Explorer and Internet Explorer Windows and repeat the above step. Then locate the ShellBrowser sub-key, open it and delete the ITBarLayout value there.

Notes: Any Toolbar layout customizations will be undone, and the affected Toolbar will be reset to its default configuration. For Windows Explorer, in Windows XP Home Edition, it may be necessary to re-enable the Address bar in Windows Explorer. To do this open Windows Explorer. Then right click a blank area of the Toolbar or Menu bar and select the Address bar item.

IMPORTANT: This article contains information about modifying the registry. Before you modify the registry, make sure to back it up and make sure that you understand how to restore the registry if a problem occurs. For information about how to back up, restore, and edit the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: 256986 Description of the Microsoft Windows Registry

Thumbs up

Right click on the TeaTimer system tray icon and select Settings. This will bring up TeaTimer's "White & Black List". There are four (4) Buttons across the top of the "White & Black List":

* Allowed processes
    * Blocked processes
    * Allowed registry changes
    * Blocked registry changes
    that solved the persisten pop ups for me, the "I got a popup warning from Spybot S&D Resident of ItBarLayout" thing, I will try and run the Regmon tool to try figure out what modifies my registry - just curious thou...
    No mather what, I beleive it is a bad thing to modify IE bars without asking me!

Question added some more debugging

That is what Regmon found:
    12.02895069 TeaTimer.exe:2880 QueryValue HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\System SUCCESS ""
    12.05132580 TeaTimer.exe:2880 QueryValue HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\System SUCCESS ""
    12.05136395 TeaTimer.exe:2880 QueryValue HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\DefaultUserName SUCCESS "user"
    12.08259010 TeaTimer.exe:2880 QueryValue HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\DefaultUserName SUCCESS "user"
    12.08262444 TeaTimer.exe:2880 QueryValue HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\DefaultUserName SUCCESS "user"
    12.11382580 TeaTimer.exe:2880 QueryValue HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\DefaultUserName SUCCESS "user"
    12.11386013 TeaTimer.exe:2880 QueryValue HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\DefaultUserName SUCCESS "user"
    12.14511395 TeaTimer.exe:2880 QueryValue HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\DefaultUserName SUCCESS "user"
    12.14514828 TeaTimer.exe:2880 QueryValue HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\DefaultUserName SUCCESS "user"
    12.17632389 TeaTimer.exe:2880 QueryValue HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\DefaultUserName SUCCESS "user"
    1688.39685059 explorer.exe:2848 QueryValue HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar\ShellBrowser\ITBarLayout NOT FOUND
    1701.83984375 explorer.exe:2848 SetValue HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar\ShellBrowser\ITBarLayout SUCCESS 11 00 00 00 4C 00 00 00 ...

Cool a fix for similar msgs from SBS&D re the ITBarLayout