Thread: PC shuts down while using SB S&D

Default PC shuts down while using SB S&D

Hi there,

I use Spybot S&D for a long time now and was always very satisfied. Now i got a new power supply unit, which also seems to work perfectly. But whenever now I let SB S&D search my system (OS is XP Pro) for Spyware it cuts of the power of my PC after 1 or 2 minutes. Itīs really weird, because it doesnīt seem like a normal crashdown, which we all know from windows, but it seems like somebody is cutting the power supply. The strange thing is also, that the power LED stays on.
    Does anybody have had similar probs or knows where the error is. I think the new power supply unit should be ok (I had 500 W before and now 430W) but it works without any problems unless I use SB S&D in the search mode.

Thanks in advance for any help
    Joe

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Smile Crashing or Shut Down

I have had a similar problem and I joined the forum to both post my solutions while getting better solutions from others. This is my first forum though. The system shuts down about half way through the scan. What I did was about half way through the scan just before the system was likely to shut down I pressed the power button of my Laptop to hibernate. And then allowing 10/15 minutes for my system to cool down, I rtestarted my computer and the scan completed without any difficulty. I have AVG antivirus but I had a similar problem when I had Avast or Norton.
    I have not noticed if the system shuts down when I had schedule a scan before the next reboot. But if I remember right the system did not shut down during the scan.
    I hope my experience is of help to someone.