Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 'Looping Denials' and ITBarLayout

Its back!!!!

I have attempted to attach screen dumps but they may be too small to be of any use.

How do I stop ITBarLayout from coming onto the computer?

Denying keeps causing this looping problem with Spybot.

The only way I can get rid of it is to allow it.

Help please!!!

Incidentally I have no items in deny. If I did would this problem happen with all denials?

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

ddasddascra:

I feel like we are going around in circles like a dog chasing its tail.

Quote Originally Posted by ddasddascra View Post
    How do I stop ITBarLayout from coming onto the computer?
    I don't know. I don't even know if the change is legitimate and should be allowed without knowing what process is issuing the registry change. I have attempted to explain one method to determine what process is issuing the registry change to the ITBarLayout registry entry by using Regmon that I detailed for cnsublett in the following post:

Without you determining what process is issuing those registry changes, I can no long help you except to remind you that when these repetitive changes to ITBarLayout are occurring doing a "Deny change" with a "Remember this change" will cause a loop.

Good luck and I hope someone else can help.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

I also think we are going round in circles.

I appreciate your time and help very much.

So this leaves me two things to follow:
    - I will attempt to use Regmon and follow that advice
    - I still would like an answer to looping (have I missed something on this one?)

At the moment every time I start up the computer Spybot allowes those on White list and a notice comes up asking me to allow or deny ITBarLayout. At the moment I have to allow it without telling it to remember. If I deny it I get the looping affect.

Once allowed I have checked the B&W lists and found no ITetc entry (as I guess would be expected) and I also used Regedit to check for a registry entry. Again no ITBarLayout entry. This puzzles me since having allowed it for the current session I would have expected to see an entry in the Registry where they previously were and from which I deleted them as per your instructions.

You probably gathered I'm having great difficulty with dealing with this and will post when I have attemtped Regmon ( It will work from boot up will it? I need to 'trap' it during the computer start process).

I honestly don't know if the second question has been answered.

I also don't know if I deny anyother activities whether the same looping problem will occur. I am now afraid to deny anything with Spybot. This is a broader issue that I would think is not just related to ITetc.

Please bear with me as I am not a well person, suffering from stress / depression, etc.

Many thanks again.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

If you are no longer getting the change to the ITBarLayout registry entry except when you reboot the system, the cause of the problem could be because TeaTimer's snapshot files are out of sync with the registry. TeaTimer takes snapshots of Registry entries and compares these with the Registry at startup. Until these snapshots are updated you are likely to get pop-ups (at startup) of changes you made in the past. In other words, TeaTimer attempts to return the Registry to the state it was in when the snapshots were taken.

The solution to the problem is to refresh TeaTimer's snapshot files after making changes to the registry such as changing your home page. There are two ways to do this:
    1. Refresh TeaTimer's snapshot files:
      • Right click Spybot's TeaTimer System Tray Icon > click Exit Spybot-S&D Resident.
        • TeaTimer closes.
        • TeaTimer's snapshot files are refreshed at this time.
      • Restart TeaTimer:
        • Using Windows Explorer, navigate to C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy.
        • Double click TeaTimer.exe to start it.
    2. Manually exit TeaTimer immediately prior to system shutdown or restart.

The loop:

Something changes the registry. TeaTimer recognizes the change by comparing the registry with its snapshot files and issues a registry change dialog. You do an "Deny change" with a "Remember this decision". Because of the "Deny change" TeaTimer returns the registry entry to the original value contained in its snapshot files and because of the "Remember this decision" TeaTimer sets up logic to automatically repeat the "Deny change" on like changes. Whatever changed the registry recognizes that the change has been reversed and reissues the change. TeaTimer recognizes the change and reverses the change. You have caused a loop by using "Remember this decision".

ps: I have no idea what your latest loops was because you elect to post screen shots that I could not read rather than a portion of the Resident.log.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

I followed your instructions to manually exit Spybot ? Teatimer before shutting down the PC.

First reboot - success - no allowed or denied messages or looping.

Just for luck I have rebooted the PC a second time and the same success.

Keeping fingers, legs, etc crossed I hope this is the end of this experience.

I am most grateful for you help and patience in seeing me through this event.

It is most appreciated.

Many thanks.

PS I think I will give the RegMon a pass for now and hope this does not reoccur.

Default Forgive me folks...but maybe the k.i.s.s. method will work

I was having this same problem upon boot up of my pc when Spybot loaded on startup. After reading your posts, I finally decided....what would it hurt to just uninstall and re-install? Viola! It worked so far.

Just a helpful idea so this stupid issue doesn't make you stir crazy like it was making me when it locked up my spybot and pc. Then you can spend time doing better things then trying to capture the registry value that's running and causing the issue.

I will wait and see if we get a repeat of the issue in the meantime. If I do, I will run this reg program and see whats up.

Wishing you all a happy, happy summer!