Thread: Norton Anitvirus labels spybot/blindman.exe as trojan?

Default Norton Anitvirus labels spybot/blindman.exe as trojan?

Hello I am sorry if this is asked alot, but i searched and could not find an answer.

I have had NAV and SB search and destroy both installed on my pc for close to a year now, then all of a sudden this morning when i booted NAV claimed that SB's blindman.exe was a trojan and attempted to remove it. Now i cannot run spybot search and destroy

Anyone have any idea's on what i should do? I don't use computers much and would be very thankful if someone could point me in a starting direction

Thank you for reading,
    Bracken

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

The problem should be reported as a false positive to Symantec for resolution.

Background information:

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

hi,
    Thank you very much for taking the time to respond. I managed to get it sorted by reinstalling Spybot again. I will go make that report now. Once again thank you for your help.

Thank you for posting this problem Bracken, I was searching for this exact question.

Thank you for your very concise & helpful answer md usa spybot fan.

For others information it also applies to SS&D v 1.3 as a false positive although v1.3 still functions with "blindman,exe" quarantined.

It wasn't until I checked the report that I realised where the so called trojan resided & reinstated it - 1.3 still updated while informing me that Blindman had been corrupted ( while it was still in quarantine )

Have run SS&D since 2003 when I first got this Pc & learned of it, am running norton's systemworks 2003 & NIS 2005 - never had a problem with compatibility until this last AV update 30-05-2007. There was another update from them today, perhaps they've fixed the false positive now?

I hadn't realised how erm, "uncompromising" symantec has become & am disgusted at their reluctance to respect how vital SS&D is to the home user ( in particular) or how trusted Spybot has proved itself through the many years it has protected users!

Rethinking next renewal or update of "paid for" product now & updating spybot to 1.4 when new drive is intalled in very near future.

Safe Surfing
    Confused1-

Same thing happened to me yesterday, after a Norton AV live update of virus definitions.

Very interesting -- perhaps Symantec is just fighting dirty against a worthy (and free) competitor. Blindman.exe isn't a threat to our PC's, Spybot is the threat to Symantec.

Verrrrrry interesting........

-Mary

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

BloomKitty (Mary):

I certainly wouldn't assume that Symantec is just fighting dirty against competitor. Unfortunately false positives (if that is what it truly is) also occur in Spybot-S&D.

Et Al:

BloomKitty also has another thread that they started in the New or undetected forum:

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Sorry i did not realise but I was also running 1.3 and it was upgrading to 1.4 which stopped it.
    So It seems maybe it was just the 1.3 version of blindman.exe which Nortan mistaked?
    Last edited by Bracken; 2007-06-01 at 02:03.

Arrow

FYI...

- http://isc.sans.org/diary.html?storyid=2897
    Last Updated: 2007-05-31 19:09:25 UTC ~ "We have received a couple of reports that Symantec Antivirus triggers on the file 'blindman.exe', part of the SpyBot Search & Destroy package. Apparently only the file included with version 1.3 was detected as a trojan, not the one included with the more recent version 1.4. Symantec has confirmed this issue occurred in the 05/30/2007 rev.020 Intelligence Update and LiveUpdate definitions. They've made available Rapid Release definition build 69173 (extended version 05/30/2007 rev. 035) to resolve the issue. LiveUpdate definitions that correct the issue were also published, version 90530ao (Sequence number: 69179; extended version 05/30/2007 rev.041)."

The machine has no brain.
    ......... Use your own.
    Browser check for updates here.
    YOU need to defend against -all- vulnerabilities.
    Hacks only need to find -1- to get in...