Thread: SpyBot malfunctioning

Question SpyBot malfunctioning

I downloaded ver 1.4 yetsreday and while trying to run S&D it freezes each time it finishes scanning the 66220 bots. While trying to run it in safe mode it happened even afer a few seconds. While scanning I noticed some of the "familair" file names (trojans ?) such as Zlob CWS etc.
    I have a few softwares installed in my machine such as Norton AntiVirus and PCtools Dr Spyware. Relevant ?
    Please instruct.my PC hardly works...gets stuck (freezes) too often..

Thanks in advance

The familiar names you see flashing by during a scan is just Spybot running through it's list of badware it's checking for.

As to your other questions:
    1. Norton is called "bloatware" because it uses way too much system resources. Get rid of it.
    2. If you're using Spyware Doctor Version 5, see item 1. Version 4.1 isn't much better. After re-formatting and re-installing Windows, I refuse to let Spyware Doctor anywhere near my machine, even though I still have 5 months left on my subscription.

Good luck
    DELL Latitude C600/Pent III/1.0Ghz/10Gb/256Mb/WinXPro SP2/FF20016&IE6/
    Zone Alarm / avast! / Spybot S&D, SuperAntispyware, Malwarebytes & Spyware Blaster

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

mpeled:

During the running of a Spybot scan ("Check for problems") the status bar in the lower left hand corner of the screen shows the following:
    • "Running bot-check(xxxxx/yyyyy:zzzzzz)" where:
      • xxxxx = Current check count.
      • yyyyy = Total check count.
      • zzzzz = Malware check being performed.

• The zzzzz value is not what is on your system, it is the name of malware Spybot is checking for.

66220 is the normal count for yyyyy when doing a "Spyware only check" (no "Usage tracking") after the 2007-05-30 updates. However, after the xxxxx count reaches 66220, Spybot checks browser related information such as cookies and bookmarks. This portion of the scan can take a significant amount of time during which time the CPU activity runs at nearly 100%. A quick timing of my scan times indicates that 17% of the total scan time in normal mode, not safe mode, was with the xxxxx/yyyyy values of the status bar sitting at 66220/66220.

What was the zzzzz value of the status bar display when the xxxxx/yyyyy values of the status bar were sitting at 66220/66220 and how long did you wait to see if the scan completed?

Do you regularly clean up Windows temporary files, cookies, internet cache and do you store a significant number of bookmarks as I do?

Honestly, I am attempting to determine if Spybot was truly hung (no activity), looped (repetitive activity) or was in fact was still processing normally although it appeared that something was wrong. In other words, what indications were there that Spybot stopped processing with no activity.
    The term "freezes" that you used could have several meanings.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.