Thread: Hiccups in last update

Default Hiccups in last update

Noticed some settings got changed during last update:

1. Un-checked "Display available beta versions.

2. Blacklisted me from disabling Webshots screensaver.

3. Spybot opens with small screen, but once Maximized won't Restore Down.

4. Printing on main screen next to 3 buttons for Check/Recovery/Search seems to have tops and bottoms of letters cut off (in small screen).

That's all I've noticed, so far. Fixed the first two easy enough, but number three won't go away. Close Spybot, check Task Manager to ensure it's stopped, then open Spybot again and it comes up full-screen. And I thought number four might be because of my screen settings, but I can't check further because of number three.

Has anyone else had any of these problems? (Or others I haven't noticed?)

Thanks, Keith Warner
    DELL Latitude C600/Pent III/1.0Ghz/10Gb/256Mb/WinXPro SP2/FF20016&IE6/
    Zone Alarm / avast! / Spybot S&D, SuperAntispyware, Malwarebytes & Spyware Blaster

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

It sounds like some unusual SpybotSD.exe shutdown down problem occurred where Spybot did not save its Configuration.ini file and registry entries properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Warner View Post
    3. Spybot opens with small screen, but once Maximized won't Restore Down.
    Try restoring Spybot's window attributes to their default values. The Spybot's window attributes are stored in the systems registry. Since I can not attach a .reg file in this forum to restore these values, I have attached .zip file that contains a .reg file to reset the Spybot window attributes to their default values. The content of the .reg file is as follows:

Code:
    REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\PepiMK Software\SpybotSnD\Window]
    "Left"=dword:000000c0
    "Top"=dword:000000a4
    "Width"=dword:00000280
    "Height"=dword:000001b8
    "WindowState"=dword:00000000
    Instructions:
    • Exit Spybot-S&D.
    • Download the attached Spybot_Window default.zip file.
    • Unzip (extract) the Spybot_Window default.zip. This will produce a Spybot_Window default.reg file
    • Double click on Spybot_Window default.reg file.
    • Answer "Yes" then "OK" to the messages received.
    • Start Spybot-S&D.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Thank you, Spybot Fan! Your zip did the trick!

Keith
    Zone Alarm / avast! / Spybot S&D, SuperAntispyware, Malwarebytes & Spyware Blaster

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

So was this problem also solved:

4. Printing on main screen next to 3 buttons for Check/Recovery/Search seems to have tops and bottoms of letters cut off (in small screen).
    As you speculated with:

And I thought number four might be because of my screen settings, but I can't check further because of number three

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

The wording next to the first two buttons has the bottom half of the last line cut off. (Last one only has 2 lines - no problem)

That is with 1024 X 768, 120 DPI It gets confusing because in addition to the Windows Display control panel an ATi driver added another control panel. Between the two I'm told I'll need to reboot to change settings. That's something I hate doing. I'm one of the lucky few XP users blessed with missing tray icons on start-up. Reformatting and re-installing Windows didn't help. Bad karma, I guess.

Keith

Esteemed Member

The missing Notification Tray icons are due to a race condition in Windows Startup. This usually happens when you either have only one user defined with autologon or you logon very quickly after the PC is started.

To workaround the problem you can create a password for the single user, which will pause the logon process and then wait until the system stops startup activity (drive access) before logon. Usually this will allow the race condition to pass and your icons will be displayed.

There are some discussions of this issue on the net with other solutions, including some at Microsoft itself. These will sometimes work, but not in all cases since the real cause is actually deeper in the OS and all of these are really just affecting the system startup process in some indirect way, not changing the fundamental problem.

Bitman
    Last edited by bitman; 2007-06-03 at 16:12.

Well, I gave your suggestion a try with some success. Since I'm the sole user and live alone I never bothered with a password. When starting, I'd hit the power button and not touch the machine again until I thought it was done with the start-up process. One thing I noticed when this missing icon problem started was the clock would come on and then freeze for about five minutes.

I created a password and re-booted, entered password and waited a total of about 8 minutes for start-up to complete. This time the clock didn't freeze, and I got most icons, but I'm still missing 3: Volume, On A/C and Safely Remove Hardware. The first 2 I started manually as in the past, and the 3rd I'm not worried about.

Now I'm not sure what I want to do. This way I get most icons automatically, but having to use a password kinda messes up my scanning routine. Before going to bed I'd set avast! a/v to do a "Boot-Time Scan", and then afterward have Spybot S&D set to scan on start-up.

What's got me scratching my head is why this problem just started, when this machine is 7 years old!

Anyway, I appreciate you taking the time to respond to my problem

Thanks, Keith Warner