Thread: Scan alert

Default Scan alert

I apologise in advance for the scant details but I will tell you all that I know.

A friend has run Spybot S&D and says that it detects only one thing
    'Microsoft Internet Explorer Windows Lock', it tells him that it is a threat and will be deleted, it then says that it has deleted it but when he runs Spybot the same message comes up.
    I am currently training at MWR as an Undergrad and will be getting a hjt log from him in 2 days time which should reveal a little more to me but in the meantime does anyone know what this could be please ?

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

I'm sorry but I can not find any current detection within Spybot named 'Microsoft Internet Explorer Windows Lock'. There is a detection for "Microsoft.Windows.Security.InternetExplorer" that would read as follows:

Code:
    Microsoft.Windows.Security.InternetExplorer: Settings (Registry change, nothing done)
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_LOCALMACHINE_LOCKDOWN\iexplore.exe!=W=1
    I suggest that you or your friend post a log of the actual detection to avoid any confusion. To do that:
    • Have your friend run another scan.
    • When the scan completes, have them right click on the results list, select "Copy results to clipboard".
    • Then paste (Ctrl+V) those results to a new post in this thread or have your friend save those results in a Notepad file so that it can be transmitted to you and you can post it.

Thanks

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.