Thread: Spybot hosts file updates

Default Spybot hosts file updates

Could someone please explain to me about Spybot hosts file updates, as I'm not clear about it?

I update Spybot's definitions regularly, but what should I do about the Spybot hosts file?

1. How should I update the hosts file? Do I need to click the Remove button and then click the Add button? Or do I just click the Add button?

2. How often should I do this? After every weekly update of Spybot?

Thanks.

Hello,

The feature to remove/add only one entry in the list will be available in the next release of Spybot - Search & Destroy. Right now, you can only uninstall the whole list. Run Spybot - Search & Destroy and switch to the 'Advanced mode' via the menu bar item 'Mode'. In the left bar select 'Tools' --> 'hosts list'. Please select 'Remove Spybot - Search & Destroy hosts list' in the right window. You can manually add/remove some entries. Therefore you have to edit the hosts-file with e.g. notepad (Close all browser pages before editing). The file is named 'hosts' without any extension. Search for the entries you do not want to block and delete them or add a new page to block. Where the hosts file is located depends on your Windows version...
    Windows 2000/XP/NT: C:*your windows folder*system32driversetc
    Windows 95/98: C:windowshosts After that save the file and start your browser again.

We also update the hosts list from time to time but not in a regular sequence.
    You don't have to remove the old list if you like to insert the new list.

If you like to learn more about the hosts file then please take a look here:
    http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Thanks for this.

In fact, I don't want to edit the details of the hosts file. I'm happy just to run with whatever is the current Spybot list, and all I needed to know is the best way to maintain that.

It sounds as if my best policy is to click on the 'Add Spybot hosts list' button once a week. That will refresh the list (no harm done by doing that), and update it if there are any changes. Is that right?