Thread: Error Help

Default Error Help

i just reformatted my computer (within 36 hrs) & the second time i run spybot i got this error...

so i uninstalled it & ran ccleaner & registry repair, didnt find anything, tried 2 reinstall spybot (newest version & with updates) & it still happens.

anyone have any ideas on what to do?

-windows xp sp2 updated
    -newest version spybot + updates
    -fresh reformat within 36 hrs
    if ya need any other info let me know

thx

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

That message has been caused in the past by failing memory (RAM) and I suggest that you consider running a memory diagnostic program. If your system didn't come with diagnostic routines including a memory test there is one here:

Quote Originally Posted by stevegee58 View Post
    I'll be damned. I've been receiving this very error message myself occasionally. And sure enough, I ran that memory tester and one of my DIMMs was bad. I went ahead and not only replaced the bad DIMM but also took the liberty of doubling my RAM from 500MB to 1GB. So far, so good.

One thing I find disturbing is how the computer seemed to work OK 99.9% of the time. I would have thought that having bad RAM would cause constant crashing but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Anyway, thanks for the information. It looks like this may have actually fixed the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by 502512 View Post
    Downloaded both memtest86 v3.2 from http://www.memtest86.com and memtest86+ v1.7 from http://www.memtest.org. The latter is an updated version of the original memtest86 v3.2 which has not been updated since some time in 2004.

Results were clearly bad. In a little over an hour's testing, my one 256MB ram module racked up over 2000 individual errors. Time for a visit to the local computer store. Well, at least this gives me a chance to upgrade to a greater amount of memory. Since my Iwill cube only has one memory slot, I'm getting a 1GB module.

I have other information to pass on after I upgrade the memory and rerun the test.

Cheers,
    Jeff

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

is that the only way that error will show up? i have no other signs of bad memory & i even put it in a friends computer because he thought his memory was goin out & wanted to see if he got all the errors & crashes with mine in his comp & he didnt have a single problem.

damn i ran a memory test from http://hcidesign.com/memtest/download.html (memtest), is that a good one? cuz i only got 5 errors outta 100% of test. what causes memory to go bad? only thing i did to mine was changed bios settings from auto detect & set em to the correct timings they are suppose to be at. could that of caused it? (probably happened yesterday with the error when opening spybot, i manually set timings 2 months ago)

***post above *problem (not probably) happened yesterday*

btw could i just get that error when my comp isnt getting enough power from my power supply? & if i got a better powersupply would my Ram still go bad? because i only get this error 1 outta 10 times when opening it.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

I guess that it is possible that a power supply could cause memory problems but normally if one of the voltages from the power supply is too far out of tolerance the system will shut down.

The fact that you only get the error one out of ten times that you load Spybot suggests to me that only one out of ten times Spybot is loading into the portion of memory that is failing.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.