Thread: Installation problems

Default Installation problems

I have downloaded the spybotsd14. When trying to open it the set up windows just close. I get thru several screens before it just disappears.

You could try downloading it from another mirror,on the off-chance there's something wrong with your download:
    http://www.spybot.info/en/download/index.html

Are you having any other problems with your computer,such as malware problems,or your computer is acting funny,etc.?

Zenobia,
    Thank you for the response. I am having spyware trouble. I have norton anti virus that has spyware program and also adaware. It usually gets them out.
    I have trojan vundo , trojan alphabet, that adaware tries to remove but it reappears and an atwola bug too. The trojan vundo is in the registry.
    I will try another download source for spybot.
    Spyhunter (free scan) has found it but unless i buy their program I get to keep it.
    Barry

I am planning on taking it to a local repair guy and let him take a shot at it if i can't do it myself.
    Last edited by nomatch1; 2007-06-11 at 19:42.

Default same old

I did download the program from a second source and it does the same thing. The windows open as if to styart to install but they close out beore the program can install. I get thru several windows if i do it quickly but it still closes before i get thru it all.
    Would a virus or the norton cause this to abort?

It is possible malware could be preventing you from installing Spybot,yes.

There's a malware removal forum section here.You could ask for help in there,if you would rather that,than taking it to a local repair shop.

The instructions to follow are here:
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288
    You'll have to skip the part with running Spybot,of course,since you're having troubles installing it.And if you run into any other troubles,like problems running the online scan,you could just make a note of it in your post.

Malware removal:
    http://forums.spybot.info/forumdisplay.php?f=22

Default dint work

I tried to do the online scan but it required that I install the java program which I tried 4 times, it stalled when copying files.
    I found a vundo removal tool in another posting downloaded it and it found no vundo. Spyhunter says that is the one trojan I do have.
    I will take it to the local repair guy and hope he doesn't tell me i have to wipe the drive, there are not enough CDs to copy everything in the box.

Default gave up, paid the $99

After several more tries, following more links and downloading other programs, here, to no avail, I gave up. My local repair guy said over the phone that unless it was very simple then copying files and then wiping the drives was probably what would happen. I went to Symantec virus removal service. For the $99 I got everything fixed, it took 3 1/2 hours of talking with several (5) nice Indian folks.
    I guess that few here will be suprised to hear that the first thing they did was to remove the spybot, spyhunter, spynomore, saying that they part of the problem. For the moment I am disease free.
    Thanks for your help, the best to you all.

Sorry to hear that. Glad you got your computer fixed up.

Anytime like that,if you post in the malware removal forum because you're having malware problems,you'd get to work one-on-one with a trained volunteer that will help with your own specific problems,the helpers read your logfile and use other tools to see what is going on.I'm not sure when you said you were following links on here if you meant you were following any sticky topics pinned or if you were following others hijackthis logs.If you were following others posted logfiles,your problems may have just seemed similar,i.e.:
    Quote Originally Posted by tashi
    Going it alone and following advice and fixes specifically given to another member is risky, your symptoms may only appear to be similar. Certainly your computers are different.
    And then,in your case,if the troubles installing Spybot weren't related to malware,then someone might have been able to work with you to see if they could find out what the troubles installing Spybot were.Though it is your decision and there's nothing wrong with getting help from a computer repair guy or an antivirus company like you did with Symantec,of course,but you should know what other options are out there in a case like this,should something like this happen again.