Thread: question about TCP/Ip Plug In

Default question about TCP/Ip Plug In

Can this change your ip adress or something by mistake, like by itself? Sorry im just a little worried.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

I would assume that unless you detected a problem during a "Search of Problems" and attempted to do a "Fix selected problems" than nothing would change. In addition it seems that the detection/plugin might deal with the IP Address of DNS (Data Name System) servers not your IP Address.

I would like to point out that besides the description of the purpose of the "TCP/IP Settings plugin" provided by information provided by Yodama here:

There is some addition information concerning the "TCP/IP Settings plugin" provided in the Spybot-S&D in deutsch forum by Patrick M. Kolla (PepiMK), the author of Spybot-S&D, in the following thread:

Quote Originally Posted by PepiMK View Post
    Das Plugin fasst so tiefe TCP/IP-Einstellungen gar nicht an!

Alles was es tut, ist böse IPs (etwa als Gateway, DNS-Server etc. eingerichtet) zu erkennen und zu beseitigen. Um den Rechner nicht stillzulegen, ersetzt es etwa böse DNS-Server mit einem allgemeineren (OpenDNS oder andere). Das tut es auch nur über die Registry, so daß ich ausschließen kann, daß durch irgendwelche API-Funktionen sowas im Hintergrund unbeabsichtigt geändert werden würde - selbst Registry-Änderungen finden ja nur statt, wenn man so einen "TCP/IP Settings #N" (N eine fortlaufende Nummer) Eintrag beim manuellen Scan findet und auch beheben lässt, und selbst dann werden keine solchen "Tweak-Parameter" wie MSS etc. verändert.

"Langsam im Internet unterwegs sein" kann also durch reine Installation des Plugins schonmal nicht möglich sein; wenn das Internet langsam wird, weil ein bösartiger DNS-Server entfernt wurde, dann höchstens, weil der Ersatz wahrscheinlich nicht optimal ist. Dann würde ein Wiedereintragen des DNS-Servers des eigenen Providers schon helfen.

Da gibt es im übrigen, um nochmal auf Digits ursprünglichen Kommentar einzugehen, auch kein Problem mit Anbieterwechseln, denn was angemeckert wird, sind wirklich nur als bösartig bekannte DNS-Server (und die werden nur von Malware eingetragen und sollten dann eigentlich diejenigen sein, die im Gegensatz zum Original des Providers langsamer sind).

Worum geht es im übrigen genau? Um 1. RWIN-Werte, die ein lokales Programm als optimal ermittelt, um 2. RWIN-Werte, die ein lokales Programm als in der Registry eingetragen anzeigt, oder um 3. RWIN-Werte, die eine Webseite meldet?
    The AltaVista - Babel Fish Translation of that post:

Quote Originally Posted by PepiMK View Post
    The Plugin does not touch so deep TCP/IP attitudes!

Everything which it does to recognize and eliminate is bad IPs (approximately as gateway, DNS server etc. furnished). In order not to quiet-add the computer, it replaces bad DNS servers with a more general (OpenDNS or other one). That does it also only over the Registry, so that I can exclude that by any API functions sowas in the background one would change unintentionally - even Registry changes take place only if one finds and also repair lets so a "TCP/IP Settings # N" (N a sequential number) to entry with the manual Scan, and no such "Tweak parameters" like MSS etc. are even then changed.

"slow in the InterNet on the way its" cannot be possible thus by pure installation of the Plugins already times; if the InterNet becomes slow, because a malicious DNS server was removed, then at the most, because the replacement is probably not optimal. Then a reregistering of the DNS server of the own Providers would already help.

There there is in all other respects, in order to deal again with digits original comment, also no problem with offerer changes, because which is angemeckert, are really only as maliciously well-known DNS servers (and those only by mark commodity are registered and should then actually those be, which are slower in contrast to the original of the Providers).

About what does it go in all other respects exactly? Around 1. RWIN values, which a local program determines as optimal, around 2. RWIN values, which a local program indicates as in the Registry registered, or around 3. RWIN values, which a web page announces?
    Last edited by md usa spybot fan; 2007-06-14 at 21:45.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Smile Gnet

Try to follow topic but can not understand why TCP/IP plug in is required when I note that it need not be downloaded if TCP/IP Plugin 1.0 - product description

md5: 7FD95B7E814EA2F56AEACE3613B4A0E9

This adds capabilities to find and replace malicious network settings. Only needed if you do not want to use the update function integrated into Spybot-S&D.
    From Spybot download page

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

gnetblast:

You are misinterpreting the statement.

You need the TCP/IP plugin with the new rule set included in beta updates on 2007-06-06 and regular updates on 2007-06-13 or else you will get an error.

The TCP/IP settings plugin enables Spybot to use new rules which can detect IP addresses entered by malware and exchange them with non harmful entries.

To download and install the TCP/IP plugin you either have to:
    1. Download the following update using the integrated update facility:
      • TCP/IP Settings plugin - !TCP/IP Settings plugin (65 KB) - 2007-06-06

--- or (if you do not use the integrated update facility) ---

2. Download and execute the following item from the Downloads Web page:
      • TCP/IP Plugin 1.0 - product description - product description
        md5: 7FD95B7E814EA2F56AEACE3613B4A0E9

This adds capabilities to find and replace malicious network settings. Only needed if you do not want to use the update function integrated into Spybot-S&D.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Default gnet

Right I misunderstood how I was updating but I downloaded all I need to get updated as my updating is not intergrated in to my spybot, I was mistaken, right. Everything is working fine on my spybot. The new update just threw me a curve and I missed the ball.
    Spybot has an excellent record,the best.
    Last edited by gnetblast; 2007-07-06 at 04:38.