Thread: I cannot select a server on S&D 1.4

Default I cannot select a server on S&D 1.4

Hello,

I try to Download Updates, but I cannot select any server.

According to my firewall message, the Spybot is connected to the website: "old.ccrdude.net" when I click on the "Download Updates" icon. See the attached file: "msg2.zip"

Also, all previous downloads were from a website with the extention ".biz"

Is it a true website?

I would be grateful for any suggestions.

Regards.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

i.e:
    • Error retrieving update info file!
      Socket Error # nnnnn

Were nnnnn is the code of the Socket Error that was encountered:

Socket Error # 10060 indicates:
    • Connection timed out.
      A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or the established connection failed because the connected host has failed to respond.

The first thing that Spybot (1.4) does during an update is to attempt to download the "update info file" file:

Quote Originally Posted by user67 View Post
    I try to Download Updates, but I cannot select any server.
    That because the spybotsd.ini contains the list of servers and the update is failing trying to download that file.

Quote Originally Posted by user67 View Post
    According to my firewall message, the Spybot is connected to the website: "old.ccrdude.net" when I click on the "Download Updates" icon. See the attached file: "msg2.zip"
    Using Convert Host Name to IP Address or Find IP address of a host, Host Name: www.safer-networking.org currently maps to IP Address: 87.106.8.215 and IP Address: 87.106.8.215 maps to Host Name: old.ccrdude.net. I also did a "tracert www.safer-networking.org" with similar results:
    • Tracing route to www.safer-networking.org [87.106.8.215]
      over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 174 ms 161 ms 161 ms ipt-dtce09.dial.aol.com [205.188.70.137]

15 263 ms 251 ms 251 ms old.ccrdude.net [87.106.8.215]

Although those mappings seem unusual, I do not believe that they are cause of your update failure because my updates are working just fine.

The cause of the failure is Socket Error # 10060 or Connection timed out.

A majority of Socket Error # nnnnn are cause by either a firewall or a proxy server. Are you sitting behind a proxy server or is your firewall stopping the connection because the connection to www.safer-networking.org because appears to be return from old.ccrdude.net?

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.