Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spybot does not open

Default Spybot does not open

I can click the desktop shortcut or try opening from the program list but when I do it takes a moment then I see the program flash on the screen for a moment then it disappears and does not open. Any ideas? I uninstalled and reinstalled.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

There is a variant of Coolwebsearch that closed Spybot and some other anti-spyware programs when they start. If this is the problem, there is a removal tool that may help.

Please read the following:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/news/2004-01-21.html
    Ugly new CoolWWWSearch variant

That article points to a page that contains a download for:
    CoolWWWSearch.SmartSearch (v1/v2) MiniRemoval

Download delcwssk.zip, unzip it, and execute miniremoval_coolwebsearch_smartkiller.exe. Then see if you can get Spybot to run.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

If the remover doesn't solve the problem please let us know which version of Spybot-S&D you are using and whether you experienced this behaviour right from the very first run or if it started all of a sudden.

Flo

i ran the remover and it says it is not on my computer.
    spybot use to work perfectly but one day it just wouldn't open.
    i am using version 1.4

Though this shouldn't happen - do you have any automation options enabled?
    Please have a look at the file Configuration.ini. Where this file is located depends on your Windows version:
    (Please be sure that hidden files are shown. Please have a look at this page to see how to show hidden files and folders:
    http://www.xtra.co.nz/help/0,,4155-1916458,00.html)

Windows 95/98: C:\Windows\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\
    Windows ME: C:\Windows\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\
    Windows NT/2000/XP: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\

Open th Configuration.ini and see whether any of the Automation options is set "1".

I have followed the steps in this post after finding myself unable to open Spybot.

I have the latest version and was able to complete the reinstall porcess easily... however when the main window should open I am left with a [Spybot] in the task bar but no associated window.

McCafee finds no issues, Malwarebytes found and removed a trojan before reinstall. I am running two screens, but even with one off this still occurs.

Win XP SP3

"[Automation]
    OfferTempCleaner=1
    SystemStart=NoAutomation"
    Last edited by artaxerxes; 2009-07-06 at 12:52.

Retired

Hello,

this problem you eyperience may be caused by an infection.
    Just to make sure you are not infected with a rootkit, please run a scan for rootkits.
    Rootkits are a technology that is more and more often used by malware to hide themselves on
    system level, making themselves invisible to standard tools. Our RootAlyzer shows you anything
    that uses certain rootkit technologies, even if it's not in Spybot-S&Ds detection database.

The RootAlyzer is a single tool which goes through the file system, the registry and process
    related lists. When you start RootAlyzer, it performs a very quick scan of a few important places,
    taking about a second on modern machines. To check the full system, you have the possibility of
    choosing a Deep Scan.

Currently, the RootAlyzer is a work in progress (with a new project tools category in our
    forum to track bugs and feature requests), but it's already helping to easily locate most of
    the current malware rootkits. It is compatible with Windows NT/2000/XP/2k3 and Vista.
    If you like to check out the new RootAlyzer you will find it in our forum:
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=24185

Here is also the direct download link: http://www.spybotupdates.biz/files/r...z-0.2.1.35.zip

Please set your computer to show all files.

* Double-click My Computer.
    * Click the Tools menu, and then click Folder Options.
    * Click the View tab.
    * Clear "Hide file extensions for known file types."
    * Under the "Hidden files" folder, select "Show hidden files and folders."
    * Clear "Hide protected operating system files."
    * Click Apply, and then click OK.

Please select to make a deep scan from the tab 'deep scan'.
    The scan will take a moment, please be patient.
    After the scan is done please click on 'pack suspicious files' which is located right at the bottom.
    This will create a .cab file on your desktop which contains the log and the suspicious files
    the scan has found. Please attach this .cab file to your next mail.

Thanks!

Best regards,
    Markus
    Team Spybot

Default spybot won't openm ran rootalyzer..

Having the same problem as the previous user.

Ran Rootalyzer and the the forum software won't allow me to upload a .cab file. Even if I rename the extension it's 130K, Just a bit too big?

Now what?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by MisterW View Post
    Hello,

this problem you eyperience may be caused by an infection.
    Just to make sure you are not infected with a rootkit, please run a scan for rootkits.
    Rootkits are a technology that is more and more often used by malware to hide themselves on
    system level, making themselves invisible to standard tools. Our RootAlyzer shows you anything
    that uses certain rootkit technologies, even if it's not in Spybot-S&Ds detection database.

The RootAlyzer is a single tool which goes through the file system, the registry and process
    related lists. When you start RootAlyzer, it performs a very quick scan of a few important places,
    taking about a second on modern machines. To check the full system, you have the possibility of
    choosing a Deep Scan.

Currently, the RootAlyzer is a work in progress (with a new project tools category in our
    forum to track bugs and feature requests), but it's already helping to easily locate most of
    the current malware rootkits. It is compatible with Windows NT/2000/XP/2k3 and Vista.
    If you like to check out the new RootAlyzer you will find it in our forum:
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=24185

Here is also the direct download link: http://www.spybotupdates.biz/files/r...z-0.2.1.35.zip

Please set your computer to show all files.

* Double-click My Computer.
    * Click the Tools menu, and then click Folder Options.
    * Click the View tab.
    * Clear "Hide file extensions for known file types."
    * Under the "Hidden files" folder, select "Show hidden files and folders."
    * Clear "Hide protected operating system files."
    * Click Apply, and then click OK.

Please select to make a deep scan from the tab 'deep scan'.
    The scan will take a moment, please be patient.
    After the scan is done please click on 'pack suspicious files' which is located right at the bottom.
    This will create a .cab file on your desktop which contains the log and the suspicious files
    the scan has found. Please attach this .cab file to your next mail.

Thanks!

Best regards,
    Markus
    Team Spybot

TriStar, I had to go into the properties of TCPIP under network connections and set it to obtain DNS automaticly. A malware had set my DNS server to something else. I wish I had thought to write down the number. oh well

in order to upload the cab file, I packed it into a winzip archive.
    Last edited by dixongrfx; 2009-07-08 at 22:21.

Hi Tristar500,

Please try to upload your files. Moreover, you can always follow these steps as well, it should help you.

Happy safe surfing for the future.
    Last edited by Matt; 2009-07-08 at 22:25.
    Best regards - Beste Grüße,

Matt