Thread: Spybot does not open

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Spybot does not open

I can click the desktop shortcut or try opening from the program list but when I do it takes a moment then I see the program flash on the screen for a moment then it disappears and does not open. Any ideas? I uninstalled and reinstalled.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

There is a variant of Coolwebsearch that closed Spybot and some other anti-spyware programs when they start. If this is the problem, there is a removal tool that may help.

Please read the following:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/news/2004-01-21.html
    Ugly new CoolWWWSearch variant

That article points to a page that contains a download for:
    CoolWWWSearch.SmartSearch (v1/v2) MiniRemoval

Download delcwssk.zip, unzip it, and execute miniremoval_coolwebsearch_smartkiller.exe. Then see if you can get Spybot to run.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

If the remover doesn't solve the problem please let us know which version of Spybot-S&D you are using and whether you experienced this behaviour right from the very first run or if it started all of a sudden.

Flo

i ran the remover and it says it is not on my computer.
    spybot use to work perfectly but one day it just wouldn't open.
    i am using version 1.4

Though this shouldn't happen - do you have any automation options enabled?
    Please have a look at the file Configuration.ini. Where this file is located depends on your Windows version:
    (Please be sure that hidden files are shown. Please have a look at this page to see how to show hidden files and folders:
    http://www.xtra.co.nz/help/0,,4155-1916458,00.html)

Windows 95/98: C:\Windows\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\
    Windows ME: C:\Windows\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\
    Windows NT/2000/XP: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\

Open th Configuration.ini and see whether any of the Automation options is set "1".

I have followed the steps in this post after finding myself unable to open Spybot.

I have the latest version and was able to complete the reinstall porcess easily... however when the main window should open I am left with a [Spybot] in the task bar but no associated window.

McCafee finds no issues, Malwarebytes found and removed a trojan before reinstall. I am running two screens, but even with one off this still occurs.

Win XP SP3

"[Automation]
    OfferTempCleaner=1
    SystemStart=NoAutomation"
    Last edited by artaxerxes; 2009-07-06 at 12:52.