Thread: Can't access Spybot

Default Can't access Spybot

Not only am I getting the timeout socket error for updates, but I also can not access the Spybot web site. I has just started to be a problem in the past week or so, It works fine on my wife's PC (which I am now using).

It has worked fine on my PC for several years. I am using Windows XP, and IE 6.0. I do not have afirewall (that I know of). Some setting must have somehow changed on my PC. Can anyone help me track it down, or offer any suggestions? Thanks for the help.

when downloading updates select safer networking#1 as the mirror and i think there is a problem with the website because i have difficulties accesing the site sometimes too.

I am not able to select a server.

On looking at your post,I thought that the Spybot site might be blocked with your Hosts file.You could look into your hosts file,and see if the Spybot site is listed in there.
    If you have Windows XP,your Hosts file is likely located here:
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC
    Your Hosts file would be named just Hosts,with no extension.To open it,rightclick it and select 'Open With',then select Notepad.If you see a line below that says "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file." with a checkmark beside it,remove the checkmark.Look in your hosts file,and see if there is an entry in there that looks similar to this:
    127.0.0.1 www.safer-networking.org
    Or:
    127.0.0.1 www.spybot.info

Or,you could post it here,so someone can have a look at it.In the Hosts file,go to Edit,then select all,then rightclick the highlighted text,and select Copy,then paste it here.

Yes, I did have a couple 127.0.0.1 entries in my host file. I deleted them, saved the file and then restarted my PC. It did not seem to help.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

What is the socket error you are getting (i.e. Socket Error #nnnnn)?

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

My socket error is # 10060.

Here are some posts about that socket error:
    http://www.google.ca/search?q=%22100...n&start=0&sa=N
    And:
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=14952

Sometimes its okay to have 127.0.0.1 entries in your hosts file,if it's added by yourself or an app,such as Spybot,to prevent your computer from going to bad websites.
    Sometimes bad things add stuff to your hosts file,though,to prevent you from going to good sites.So,can you remember what some of the sites listed in your hosts file with the 127.0.0.1 entry were?

If you have Windows XP,you should have Windows Firewall.Do you know if you have Service Pack 2?Would you happen to have a router?

Sometimes it is necessary to work from home. In order to access the AS400 at work, I have to use SecuRemote. I looked very closely at all of the settings in that program, and found:
    Auto-Connect
    Auto-connect prompts you to connect to a site whenever you try to access a site. When disabled, you must explicitly connect to a site before accessing the resources on that site.

This setting was enabled. I disabled it, and now everything is back to normal, as it was a couple weeks ago. I haven't made any changes to this program, so that' why I have ignored it until now, as a last resort. I don't know when or how that setting got changed.

Thanks to everyone for their assistance!

Glad you got it.