Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strange bug after updating on 08.08.2007 on Win98SE

Question Strange bug after updating on 08.08.2007 on Win98SE

Hello everyone. I have been using Spybot - S & D for a long time on my old computer that runs on Windows 98SE and I had no problems with this indeed excellent programme. But today I find that after update of the Detection support library 2.1.2 dated from 01.08.2007 on every start Spybot - S & D begins to scan the floppy drive A: for a long time which I find very strange . I think this is some kind of bug and it is a good idea to publish it in the forum in order to be resolved.
    Last edited by IMLLL; 2007-08-08 at 20:53.

Hello,

Please have a look at this link:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330137/en
    This is a known problem which can occur in Windows. Plug & Play devices could cause wrong drive letter assignments in Windows. So please try to reassign the drive which cause the error.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

How long exactly is "a long time"? 30 Seconds? Minutes? Hours?
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)

I can add the following:

I work in an office. We have several PCs there and on 2 of them I have installed some time ago Spybot S & D 1.4. They run two different OS: Windows 98SE and Windows XP SP1. There was no problem with scanning drive A: until I updated today. The bug is absolutely the same regardless of the OS version. With the start of Spybot the OS start to search something in floppy A: for about 5 seconds. The good thing is that I don't see any consequences and Spybot loads itself.
    I doubt that this is a new feature of the programme. I find this is simply annoying and the fact that this happens on two separate machines makes me believe that this is some kind of software bug and this schould be checked by the developers.

*edit* ok, I take everything back - I'm a blind developer :D :D :D

Five seconds sounds like a border case. On the one hand, Spybot-S&D is expected to check for all existing drives (AVs do as well btw) for multiple reasons. Checking inactive installations, storing a list of really available drives (to avoid unnecessary lookups at later points), on the other hand, 5 seconds seem to be a bit long...
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)

Hello,

Further i read here that Spybot is installed in an office environment.

Spybot Search and Destroy is only free for the private use.
    The license agreement is available on: http://www.safer-networking.org/en/p..._license1.html

Corporate users need to purchase a license.

Some more information is available on www.safer-networking.ie

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

OK, I didn't know that it was forbidden for offices.
    I apologize for installing the software at work and I will uninstall it. I can assure you that I haven't used it frequently at work.
    But I found out this new behaviour at my home computer and I simply gave examples that the situation was the same on two other PCs and I just wanted to help.

I am also experiencing the same "problem" since updating yesterday , i am using Windows ME and as soon as the update completed my A drive also sprang into life for approximately 5 seconds which at the time i thought was odd and then Today when i ran SpyBot it did the same again , it`s no big thing i know but i thought i`d just post it for reference.

Too many folks with the same problem.

Can we have a look at this guys please?

Hello,

There are different ways to search for spies.
    Spybot - Search & Destroy takes the advantage to check for all existing drives. Antivirus solutions do this also by the way.
    It is checking inactive installations and storing a list of really available drives to avoid unnecessary lookups at later points. The creating of such an overview is taking place right at the start of Spybot - Search & Destroy. At this moment Spybot makes a quick scan to proove if itself is modified by malware or some kind of baddie. So this can take quite a few seconds. Please be patient.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot