Thread: Random Sounds on My Computer

Angry Random Sounds on My Computer

I randomly hear sounds on my computer while I have an Internet browser open (regardless of which one). They are mostly animal sounds, such as a cat meowing or a dog barking. A few minutes ago I heard a bike bell sound. I don't know what is causing this. I tried looking in Add/Remove programs for anything I didn't recognize (everything there was familiar to me). I tried running a spyware scan with every antispyware program on my computer (all scans either came up clean or found a few tracking cookies, but nothing else; I don't think that a tracking cookie could cause this). I have Windows XP Service Pack 3 RC1 (I had this problem long before I installed said service pack from Microsoft's website) with IE7, AOL 9.1, AOL Desktop, and 384 MB of RAM.

Hello.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mastaclocksetta View Post
    I randomly hear sounds on my computer while I have an Internet browser open (regardless of which one). They are mostly animal sounds, such as a cat meowing or a dog barking. A few minutes ago I heard a bike bell sound. I don't know what is causing this.
    I have seen various reasons given for such, none conclusive.
    Does anyone else have access to the computer in question and did you run an anti virus scan?

I know classical sounds can be caused by the electronic hardware monitoring component of the motherboard and BIOS. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/261186

Regards.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Quote Originally Posted by tashi View Post
    Hello.

I have seen various reasons given for such, none conclusive.
    Does anyone else have access to the computer in question and did you run an anti virus scan?

I know classical sounds can be caused by the electronic hardware monitoring component of the motherboard and BIOS. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/261186

Regards.
    No one else has access to my computer. I ran an antivirus scan, which came up clean. As I said, they are mostly animal sounds. I don't think that's normal.

Hi there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mastaclocksetta View Post
    As I said, they are mostly animal sounds. I don't think that's normal.
    To narrow possible causes you could post a HJT log in our Malware Removal Forum

"BEFORE you POST"(READ this Procedure BEFORE Requesting Assistance)

Best regards.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016