Thread: Using Spybot Search and Destroy with Mozilla

Question Using Spybot Search and Destroy with Mozilla

I recently removed a rather nasty bit of spyware from a computer, and now I am concerned about my computer's safety as well. The other user used Internet Explorer, so immunizing his PC was simple. My concern is that I use Mozilla's Firefox, and I would like to immunize my system as well.

Is it possible to immunize Mozilla browsers like you can immunize Internet Explorer?

Hello,

Spybot-S&D does also support other browsers than IE. It can empty the browser's cache and history and checks for bad cookies, start page and bookmarks. In the past versions of Spybot - Search & Destroy the Immunization did not work for Firefox, it was only for the Internet Explorer. But in the new version 1.5 there is a bad download blocker for Firefox and Opera.

In addition, Spybot-S&D contains the Resident TeaTimer which is completely browser independent. It is a Spybot-S&D tool perpetually monitoring the processes called/initiated. It immediately detects known malicious processes wanting to start and terminates them giving you some options, how to deal with this process in the future: You can set TeaTimer to:

- be informed, when the process tries to start again
    - automatically kill the process
    - or generally allow the process to run

There is also an option to delete the file associated with this process.

In addition, TeaTimer detects, when something wants to change some critical registry values. TeaTimer can protect you against such changes again giving you an option: You can either "Allow" or "Deny" the change.

As TeaTimer is always running in the background, it takes some resources of about 5 MB.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Quote Originally Posted by spybotsandra View Post
    But in the new version 1.5 there is a bad download blocker for Firefox and Opera.
    Is 1.5 available for download? On the main site I can only see version 1.4. If so, where can I find it? If not, when will it be released?

Monsieur Dozier

Hello,

Not all mirrors have update yet.
    But it was released today.
    Here is the direct download file:
    http://www.spybotupdates.com/files/spybotsd15.exe

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Thank you very much.

Monsieur Dozier