Thread: S&D 1.5 and IE7 Performance Problems

Default S&D 1.5 and IE7 Performance Problems

I recently installed S&D 1.5 RC1 as well as the newly released S&D 1.5. On both installs I have experienced very poor performance with IE7. Mainly pages take a lot longer to load, and some won't load fully. It's hard to describe, but seems a lot like packet loss....just particular images or parts of sites refuse to load. I have only been to well known sites such as CNN, Weather.com, etc. I'm not a "high risk" surfer!

I did clean installs of both RC1 and the release version of 1.5. Both were installed without TeaTimer, and I did uninstall S&D 1.4 prior to installing 1.5. I did use the "immunize" feature both times.

My system appears to be clean, according to S&D 1.4, 1.5, AVG-AS (free edition), Ad-aware, and AVG AV. I'm using a fully patched XP-Pro SP2. Also, reverting back to S&D 1.4, with immunity (no TeaTimer), absolutely fixes the problem. My pc surfs with IE7 fine using 1.4.

Any help or suggestions would be most appreciated!

Lightbulb Modified Hosts File...

If you immunized your PC with Spybot 1.5, it has the default behavior of modifying your Windows Global Hosts file by entering in a whole slew of bad websites. This can slow your PC down if you have the DNS service enabled by default on XP/Vista. You can speed up your PC however by disabling the DNS Service located in "Administrative Tools" -> "Services". Or you can go back into the immunization feature of Spybot S&D, scroll down to Windows Hosts, and uncheck that Windows Global Hosts option. You may need to re-immunize since you unchecked an option.

Thanks....I'll give that a try tomorrow.