Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Problems with Spybot v1.5.15 on W98SE

Default Problems with Spybot v1.5.15 on W98SE

Is anyone having these kinds of problems with Spybot 1.5.15 running under Windows 98SE.

1. Spybot takes almost 2 minutes to open its UI

2. After I succussfully retrieve updates, and try to close the updates window, Spybot hangs (TaskManager reports it as NOT RESPONDING). Spybot's main window is not rewritten; part of window is replaced with a white outline of the previous updates windows

3. If I kill the hanging Spybot task, and then restart Spybot, the task will appear in TaskManager but the GUI will not open (at least not in the five minutes I waited).

4. If I start Spybot after a system restart, and I don't check for or get updates, I can immunize and run a scan successfully (although as others have noted, the CPU use goes up to 100%)

The only "odd" thing about my W98SE installation is that it is using the display adapter's LARGE FONTS.

Regards,
    Charles

As a recent w98se user myself i stopped using spybot on that system over a year ago as it uses so much system resources (GDI/SYSTEM/USER)that it is just not compatabile with that system anymore,and because if its high resource usage can bring W98/98SE/AND ME to its knees.Personally i would uninstall it and use something else.To check how much of your system resources it uses start the resource meter....and then start spybot.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/300059....
    or just navigate to to the windows folder directory and make a shortcut to "RSRCMTR.EXE
    ellison
    Last edited by ellison; 2007-09-15 at 21:58.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesF View Post
    Is anyone having these kinds of problems with Spybot 1.5.15 running under Windows 98SE.

1. Spybot takes almost 2 minutes to open its UI

2. After I succussfully retrieve updates, and try to close the updates window, Spybot hangs (TaskManager reports it as NOT RESPONDING). Spybot's main window is not rewritten; part of window is replaced with a white outline of the previous updates windows

3. If I kill the hanging Spybot task, and then restart Spybot, the task will appear in TaskManager but the GUI will not open (at least not in the five minutes I waited).

4. If I start Spybot after a system restart, and I don't check for or get updates, I can immunize and run a scan successfully (although as others have noted, the CPU use goes up to 100%)

The only "odd" thing about my W98SE installation is that it is using the display adapter's LARGE FONTS.

Regards,
    Charles
    Same problem here with items 1 to 3, Charles. I admit upgrading from v1.3 (thought it had 1.4). I even rebooted. I think we made an error to install this on old old 98 SE OS' (all critical updates). :(

Can anyone at Safer Networking confirm that Spybot updates will continue to work with v1.4 for the foreseeable future.

Thanks

Hello.
    Can anyone at Safer Networking confirm that Spybot updates will continue to work with v1.4 for the foreseeable future.

Thanks
    You will still be able to download updates.

Please remember that WIN98 is no longer a supported Microsoft Operating System and therefore the OS itself cannot be patched or kept up to date.

Best regards.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Tashi,

MS's support for W98SE is neither here nor there. I have an app that only runs under Win98SE. And until I move to some kind of virtualized solution, or find another equivalent app, I'll be running my Windows 98 system alongside my XP one.

The problems I outlined running Spybot 1.5 under W98SE have very little to do with whether or not MS is still supporting it. So I think your comment is bit of a red herring.

Regards
    Charles

Quote Originally Posted by tashi View Post
    Hello.

You will still be able to download updates.
    Tashi,

MS's support for W98SE is neither here nor there. I have an app that only runs under Win98SE. And until I move to some kind of virtualized solution, or find another equivalent app, I'll be running my Windows 98 system alongside my XP one.

The problems I outlined running Spybot 1.5 under W98SE have very little to do with whether or not MS is still supporting it. So I think your comment is bit of a red herring.

Regards
    Charles
    Well not really because I answered that particular question. I would be lax if I didn't point out the insecurity of using an unsupported Operating System.

As to the other questions I will make a note for team.

Best regards.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

If you read my measurements here in post #8 & #9, it might be, that the problem is not related to the OS, but to the supposedly weaker hardware, where an W98 is installed.

On the other hand I am wondering about this: The changelog for 1.5 proudly pointed out, that the compatibility with Win 95 is back. Now, W95 is supposed to be installed on even weaker hardware than w98, so this achieved compatibility makes me wonder, how long the start-up of 1.5 will endure on those system. (They must exist, otherwise this point in the changelog would have no menaing.) And BTW, I agree, that w98 and WinME are comparibly to w2k and above no save systems, but in comparison to to W95 (not to forget, that you can upgrade IE on w95 at last to 5.0) they are more save. So, if W95 has been a point for the devs, w98 should work.

I also have some old apps, which do not perform in XP, so I need the w98 machine; out of this I cannot test (with to much risk), if the poor performance of 1.5 on the 1 GHz (mentioned in the other thread) will get even worse on w98.
    Greetings,
    Thomas

Same problem noted here on 98SE. Got so frustrated I uninstalled 1.5 and went back to 1.4 which works like a dream. I would hope we can get some sort of notification if this problem gets fixed so we can again upgrade to 1.5 since updating became virtually impossible.

Downloaded the Beta Fix and installed. Start up time after clicking desktop icon is now normal again. Will not know if this Beta fix addressed the problem of updating until the next release of updates wednesday October 3.