Thread: Tools - System Internals

Default Tools - System Internals

Using v1.4, updated.
    When visiting and checking Sys.Ints., Spybot dicovers many instances of "Wrong App Path", among others. Can someone please explan exactly what transpires if I ask it to fix these entries ? Is this a type of "Registry cleaner" ? Is it likely that I would experience any ill effects, i.e., will programs no longer function as usual ? System works well and "if it ain't broke....", but in the interest of keeping things "clean" I wish to know if the fix should be run.
    Thank you very much for any words of wisdom. I've been using SpyBot S&D for several years now, and it's a Really Great program/tool. FWIW, this is a much nicer Forum than the "new" Net-Integration site - where I originally found the SpyBot Forums a few years ago....
    Thanks
    bobnrobin

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

From the System internals > Help

System internals

The windows registry contains lots of information. It's consistency can be checked with good commercial programs like Symantec™ System Works. But there are some small things I miss with those programs. Here's what SpyBot-S&D searches for:

• Missing help files – the registry contains information about the location of some help files. If this information points to incorrect directories, Spybot-S&D will inform you about and allow to fix.

• Missing shared DLLs – the registry contains a list of dynamic link libraries, where they are located and how many programs use them. SpyBot-S&D checks if all locations are correct and allows to change them if not.
    • Application paths – some applications (mostly those registered to a file extension) are registered in the registry. If they are pointing to a program file no longer existing, Spybot-S&D can change their path or delete their entry.

• Wrong Uninstall information – every program that has it's own uninstall routine stores some information about it in the registry. If this information is incorrect, Spybot-S&D will tell You about. For example, the uninstall program may have been located inside a temp directory (there are lots of programs that stupid!).

• Broken Desktop Links – if one of the links on your desktop links to a file that no longer exists, Spybot-S&D will tell you and allow you to either point the link to another file or delete it.

Warning: Please be aware that changes to these items can corrupt your system! If you are not sure whether a setting is really a problem, You´d better leave it alone!
    This warning especially applies if you use Microsoft Office™. This software suite has some registry entries pointing to wrong directories and some even pointing to non-existent help files. I've changed the first, but I wouldn't delete the other one, because they may well point to files that will be installed on that "Install on first use" basis.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Thanks, md...SB fan.
    I guess I should have said I'd read, many times, the Help file re the Sys. Ints. tools.... But, they just managed to scare me enough to Not use them. What I was hoping for was a "report" from someone who had used the tools and knew exactly what happened and if they were pleased with the results...
    I appreciate your taking the time to answer, very much.
    Thanks, again.

Quote Originally Posted by bobnrobin
    What I was hoping for was a "report" from someone who had used the tools and knew exactly what happened and if they were pleased with the results...
    Check out this thread at net-integration:
    System Internals Test Results, Errors in many files
    http://net-integration.us/forums/ind...howtopic=27456

Within that thread see comments by Zenobia here:
    http://net-integration.us/forums/ind...dpost&p=129977

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

YESSS!! Thank you, Thank you, SB fan. Went there, read all that, put that thread in Favorites.
    Kind of funny, I'd asked about this in the MS Communities - no difinitive answer, went to the net-integration forum, couldn't get logged in, thought it was no longer "official", so ended up registering for This forum. Nice to know they are both active - if I can't get to one, can try the other...
    Thank you so very much.
    bobnrobin

The net-integration forum url changed from:
    http://forums.net-integration.net/index.php?
    To:
    http://net-integration.us/forums/index.php

This has caused many people to lose contact with the site. The site still is a good reference source, however the links within posts still point to the old net-integration site which makes it difficult to research references at times.
    Last edited by md usa spybot fan; 2006-01-18 at 17:09.

i to am looking to use this tool,but am worried that i'll "stroke the wrong key".i tried the page that md usa listed and it's not available-i think there forum page is down. i have removed some programs and there are dll files left that may or may not be used by other programs. well i don't know. maybe someone can shed some light. p.s. i am very happy with having spybot as one of my ,long time user. jchambers