Thread: Spybot 1.5 Administrator elevation

Default Spybot 1.5 Administrator elevation

I've configured Spybot 1.5 to run on system startup, (on Windows XP Pro), which means that when I log on from the Windows logon prompt Spybot starts shortly after my desktop is displayed. It appears that Spybot runs with the privileges of the user I log on as, so if I log on as Administrator everything runs and Spybot closes automatically after the check, but if I log on as a restricted user Spybot puts up a warning message saying some actions are not allowed because I'm not an administrator.

Question: is it possible to edit the Spybot startup parameters so that the programme will always run as Administrator on system startup? Is this something that you would change in the registry? Shouldn't this be set up as the default anyway - otherwise there is a risk that Spybot will not do a complete check?

Open "Scheduled Tasks" via Windows Control Panel and find the "Spybot - Search & Destroy - Scheduled Task". Open it and in the "Task" tab you will be able to specify what user account the task will run as. If you uncheck the "Run only if logged on" box, specify to run as the Administrator account, set the Administrator password and under "Schedule" tab schedule it to run at user logon, it will always run as "Administrator" when any user logs on, with all of "Administrator"s privileges, regardless of whether the account you are logged into has administrative privileges. However, it will not be able to scan the currently logged-in user's Internet Explorer cache, cookies and a few other user specific things. I personally recommend changing the account you usually log into to an Administrator account (i.e. not "Limited"), that way you can run S&D as your own username, not Administrator, be able to scan all your own internet settings and stuff, and still allow S&D full administrator privileges. And you will enjoy all the benefits of administrative access to your system