Thread: Scheduling a Spybot scan under Windows XP

Default Scheduling a Spybot scan under Windows XP

If you want to schedule a Spybot scan under Windows XP without setting up a login password, the procedure is as follows:

For Pro: Start/Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Local Security
    Policy/Local Policies/Security options. In the right hand pane (third down)
    Accounts: Limit local account use of blank passwords to console logon only.
    This is enabled by default, disable it.

For Home: Go to Start/Run/Regedit
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa
    Value name: limitblankpassworduse
    Type: REG_DWORD
    Data: 0 (disabled) 1 (enabled)
    It is enabled by default. Disable it and scheduled tasks should run.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

I verified on a Windows XP Home system that by changing the system registry a Scheduled Task can be scheduled and run from a User Account that does not have a password. The change is as follows:

Code:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Lsa]
    "limitblankpassworduse"=dword:00000001
    To:

Code:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Lsa]
    "limitblankpassworduse"=dword:00000000
    Please note: I was unable to find any information on the Microsoft.com site concerning the use of the "limitblankpassworduse" registry entry. Beside allowing the scheduling and executing of tasks without a password, I do not know what, if any, other Windows facilities/features are enabled by removing the "limitblankpassworduse" default restriction. Caution in the use of this tweak is advised.

Additional note suggested by bitman:

As an alternative, if you do not want a password on the Administrator User Account that you normally use, you could create an additional Administrator account with a password just for the purpose of using the Windows XP OS scheduler. That way you will not have to risk compromising security and still have the ability to run Spybot-S&D on a scheduled basis.
    Last edited by md usa spybot fan; 2006-01-18 at 23:47.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Default Thanks for posting this Topic

Also, Thank you to bitman for the alternate way to put Spybot-S&D on a scheduled scan.

HAVE A GREAT DAY

It should also be noted that if you use an alternate user account for scheduling purposes, you should periodically scan from your regular user account as well as any other user accounts on the system.

Although the entire system is scanned for most malware, because of restrictions in the Microsoft APIs (Application Program Interfaces) used by Spybot, the scan from one account does not include the Internet cache, cookies and some other user specific entries of other accounts.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Quote Originally Posted by md usa spybot fan
    It should also be noted that if you use an alternate user account for scheduling purposes, you should periodically scan from your regular user account as well as any other user accounts on the system.

Although the entire system is scanned for most malware, because of restrictions in the Microsoft APIs (Application Program Interfaces) used by Spybot, the scan from one account does not include the Internet cache, cookies and some other user specific entries of other accounts.
    Hi md usa spybot fan,

This is something I find confusing as it seems to imply that Spybot S&D, once installed, is not offering complete coverage of the entire system. (Whereas other anti-spyware such as Microsoft Beta1 seems to automatically intigrate into all User Accounts?)

Also, I believe that Spybot S&D does not even appear in newly added "Limited" User Accounts? :o

Is there a way to make sure that the Immunization and the SD Helper are both offering their protection to all Users, not just the Account on which Spybot S&D was installed and is updated?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by Oppressed
    Is there a way to make sure that the Immunization and the SD Helper are both offering their protection to all Users, not just the Account on which Spybot S&D was installed and is updated?
    Some immunization is affective for all users some is not. To insure that all users are protected you should immunize each user account. The SDHelper should work across all users. TeaTimer must be activated for each user since the startup entry is stored in the HKEY_CURRENT_USER registry hive.

Quote Originally Posted by md usa spybot fan
    Some immunization is affective for all users some is not. To insure that all users are protected you should immunize each user account. The SDHelper should work across all users. TeaTimer must be activated for each user since the startup entry is stored in the HKEY_CURRENT_USER registry hive.
    Hi

I can understand that the TeaTimer would be activated for each user. I guess I was hopeful that there would be a way to ensure that the other forms of protection were up to date without being required to invade the privacy of other Users :o

Default Great help

[QUOTE=100mill;8164]If you want to schedule a Spybot scan under Windows XP without setting up a login password, the procedure is as follows:

For Pro: Start/Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Local Security
    Policy/Local Policies/Security options. In the right hand pane (third down)
    Accounts: Limit local account use of blank passwords to console logon only.
    This is enabled by default, disable it.QUOTE]

I'm using PRO, and I want to thank everyone very much for their assistance.
    Ya'll have a good one.

You can also just enter "NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM" in the "Run As" field of the "Task" panel. no password required.

regards,

Quote Originally Posted by md usa spybot fan View Post

Quote Originally Posted by md usa spybot fan View Post
    Thanks for these posts. I was just about to setup an account specifically for scheduling Spybot updates, immunizations, and possibly scans. Given the about comments, I think I'll have to refine my plans a bit.

Thanks!

Peace...