Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dialer generic

Hi Tea,
    I've given it a week or so and things seem to be running fairly OK. PC is a little slower than I would expect from my system but it is consistent and does not appear to be going down the route of becoming crippled, which is great. I did run an Adaware scan after a week and that gave me an MRU list with a number of "critical" findings but the majority seemed related to programmes running on the PC e.g. Tradedoubler, MSN where tracking cookies are used. Anyhow I have run another Combofix and Hijackthis and attach here. Does everything still look clean - is this as good as it gets?
    Thanks as always
    Greg
    Attachment 1698

Attachment 1699
    Quote Originally Posted by teacup61 View Post
    Hi Greg,

That's fine, and I'll be here for your response when you're ready.

Regards,
    tea

In Memoriam -Always in our heart teacup61's Avatar

Hello,

Let's do some things and see if we can speed it up just a bit.

Please delete ComboFix and its accompanying folder C:\Qoobox. Empty your Recycle bin and reboot your computer.

The following are not malware, but fixing them with HijackThis will improve your system's speed. None are necessary at startup, and may be started manually at any time. This is up to you.

Please run HijackThis! and click "Scan." Place checks next to the following entries, if present:

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Cpqset] C:\Program Files\HPQ\Default Settings\cpqset.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_02\bin\jusched.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DSL Connection Manager] C:\Program Files\INTEL\DSLSetup\ProDsl.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Component Manager] "C:\Program Files\HP\hpcoretech\hpcmpmgr.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RoxioDragToDisc] "C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 6\DragToDisc\DrgToDsc.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BJCFD] C:\Program Files\BroadJump\Client Foundation\CFD.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LogitechVideoTray] C:\Program Files\Logitech\Video\LogiTray.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Photo Downloader] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Album Starter Edition\3.2\Apps\apdproxy.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime

Close all browsers and other windows except for HijackThis!, and click "Fix checked".

Now reboot a time or 2 and let me know if that helps any.

Thanks,
    tea
    teacup61

How is it going wileyg?
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

This topic has been archived due to lack of a response.

If you need it re-opened, please send me a private message (pm) and provide a link to the thread.

Applies only to the original poster, anyone else with similar problems please start a new topic.

Re-opened upon request.

Hello wileyg,

Can you please tell me what kind of problems you're having?

Thanks,
    tea
    teacup61

Greg? I thought you needed more help?

Please get back to me soon or tashi will have to archive the thread again. :(

Regards,
    tea
    teacup61

Smile Tracking cookies still slowing PC

Hi tea,
    Hope you are well
    Sorry I did not get back first time as I was really seeing how things went for a couple of weeks. First the PC is working much better - I must say that and thanks for all you have done there
    However, I am still having some problems with tracking cookies finding their way in and eventually slowing my PC.
    I continue to clear essentially with Adaware scans and deletion of the cookies but they always come back again. I must say though that it takes much longer to slow my PC right down so I do not have to scan every time. I was wondering if this is something I just have to put up with?
    Thanks as always

There you are! Good morning Greg

You're always going to have cookies, even from the most secure sites. In fact, cookies are even required at secure sites or they won't let you use the site. I get them from Pay Pal and my Hotmail. I use ATF cleaner at least 3 times a week to clean it all out. Would you like to give it a try? It's free, easy to use, and very thorough.

Let me know,
    tea
    teacup61

Thanks tea

Sorry for the lack of response at times - been really busy lately.

I think that would be a good idea. The cookies are essentially from sites I recognise so a cleaning programme would be great. Still don't understand why they slow the PC so much but guess that is the nature of the beast

Please advise on ATF and I'll give it a go. I'm really happy that the PC has improved so much after the work you have done - thanks a million for that
    Best wishes
    wileyg

Quote Originally Posted by teacup61 View Post
    There you are! Good morning Greg

You're always going to have cookies, even from the most secure sites. In fact, cookies are even required at secure sites or they won't let you use the site. I get them from Pay Pal and my Hotmail. I use ATF cleaner at least 3 times a week to clean it all out. Would you like to give it a try? It's free, easy to use, and very thorough.

Let me know,
    tea