Thread: Error in new Spybot version 1.51 Sept 26, 2007

Default Error in new Spybot version 1.51 Sept 26, 2007

Beside slow startup, had a few comments on install/run problems with version 1.51 (not tried beta yet)

1. Error on install. Tried a few times with an install of updated version. Then tried uninstall, reboot and reinstall.

Am repeatedly receiving this error on Win XP Home with all patches(Intel 3.4ghz chip,also ran on Core 2 Duo E6600, 2.5 gb of memory, 250gb hard disk, have AVG and SpySweeper running in background) during install. I click on IGNORE.

C:\Program Files\SpyBot - Search & Destroy\Plugins\TCPIPAddress.dll

An error occurred while trying to replace the existing file:
    DeleteFile failed; code 5.
    Access is Denied.

Click retry........(you know the rest of the message)

**At this point I had to hit ignore to continue.... One or two other files came up with same message. I cannot duplicate this right now though. Only the one above came up on 3rd try.

BUG???
    2. After you download updates and the download is complete..you normally press EXIT on the dialog. This takes a long time to exit. Also take a long time bringing up the next screens of Spybot to Immunize.

3. I think it would be fantastic and so much better if you got rid of two immunize buttons and after a person downloads update you AUTOMATICALLY immunize. No need for user to click on any button. I have used your great program for years and wondered why a user has to press any buttons at all. Most malware, spyware, AV type programs automatically apply the updates.

I think this would make it much more intuitive for people and no one would have to click on anything except to download updates...

If you fix these, I will gladly donate $50......

Thanks
    Peter
    Last edited by pcumming; 2007-09-26 at 23:02.

1, looks like a OS problem. Might be related to Spybot though, not sure.

2, I experience this too. Rather than having problems on exit, I think it does something after downloading the patches. If you wait a few seconds, and then hit "exit", I think it quickly closes.
    Not sure why it takes several seconds to process a 600KB patch. Might be related to this.
    Anyway, if it's really necessary, some sort of visual hint that it's working would be good, otherwise it really looks like it's having some sort of trouble.

3, I agree.
    Whatever I say, it's not my fault.