Thread: whoa!! what happened to the file shredder?!!

Default whoa!! what happened to the file shredder?!!

I gotta say that THAT was my favorite tool of all in 1.4 what happened? why was it removed?

Hello,

Spybot-S&D 1.5 does not support the Secure Shredder anymore.
    There is a simple reason, the Secure Shredder is outdated
    and so it is not really "secure" without any enhancements.
    The problem is that we don't have the time for this little tool.
    Our focus is Spybot-S&D. There are already good data erasing tools out there and so we won't working on the Secure Shredder anymore.

If you like, we would recommend another tool for deleting sensitive data. The tool "Eraser".

http://www.heidi.ie/eraser/default.php
    http://www.heidi.ie/eraser/download.php

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Thanks for the response i guess. tho Eraser is not lean enough for my tastes (i dont like the installation). Dont worry I'll find another tool.

Default Spybot's Shredder was a must-have...

Like erikguy, I, too, found the Spybot shredder was a must-have. The pre-sets allowed for fast, simple elimination of the significant data, and anything else was simple enough to add. I used it everyday, when I ran Spybot before closing down. Eraser (which I installed and tried) is definitely 'not lean' - it is much too elaborate for ordinary use. My greatest objection to it, is the potentially fatal capabilities which are so easily accessible to any fool that decides to sit at one's machine for a few minutes. I tried to keep the last (1.4) version of Spybot on my machine, concealed in a renamed folder, so that I could still use the shredder. Didn't work, of course, it quite naturally conflicted with the new version. We need the Spybot shredder back!

The old version shouldn't conflict with the new one, but with so many complaints about the missing shredder, I guess I should evaluate if its possible to make it available again as a very small stand-alone application
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)

Thumbs up Excellent news...

Excellent news, PepiMK! That would certainly be a most welcome addition to the indispensable Spybot creation. One spends hours unearthing and counteracting the maliciously puerile pitfalls of the Microsoft Orcs, and verily, one grows sorely vexed and weary, and longs for one's eternal rest, what? But then one muses on Spybot; on the positively scintillating simplicity and efficiency of this superlative engine, and calls to mind the selfless men and women who are the very lifeblood of this marvellous initiative, and ‘struth, one is full glad. Truly there is nought evil but hath a good counterpart.
    Yes, I shouldn’t have thought that the two versions would interfere with each other, but sadly, the change of settings in one was mirrored in the other, and I had to reverse the installation.
    Apropos of nothing, I did apply yr beta patch, but start-up is still in the thirty-five to forty-five second range, which is not a catastrophe, especially once one is aware that something is going on, even if there is no immediate visual indication.

Quote Originally Posted by PepiMK View Post
    The old version shouldn't conflict with the new one, but with so many complaints about the missing shredder, I guess I should evaluate if its possible to make it available again as a very small stand-alone application
    Excellent news because I'm missing the Shredder too !
    Many thanks for SDD 1.5.
    It's one of my favorit appls.
    Last edited by hpwamr; 2007-10-01 at 12:52.

Here are two entries on our project manager:
    Get the shredder back
    Make a stand-alone shredder

You can vote there (right below the description are two behinds behind a "Would you like to see this task performed?") so that we can have an estimate on how users think on this
    Last edited by tashi; 2016-02-29 at 18:51. Reason: Disabled expired links
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)

I just created my account on this BBS for one reason only -- to ask, "where in the hell is the Secure Shredder???" lol

I'm so glad it's coming back! Whew!

Quote Originally Posted by TBolt View Post
    I just created my account on this BBS for one reason only -- to ask, "where in the hell is the Secure Shredder???" lol

I'm so glad it's coming back! Whew!
    Me, too. I joined the forum for that one reason. I need my shredder!

Edit: I just downloaded the stand-alone shredder you provided. Great! Thanks!
    Last edited by balt221; 2007-10-24 at 20:34.