Thread: Spybot and Firefox!

Default Spybot and Firefox!

For some reason spybot won't detect that i have firefox installed, it won't load the protection for firefox just IE, i have the same problem within spywareblaster too, running Vista Ultimate 32bit, Nod32 as my av and Comodo as my firewall!

Any ideas anyone?

Cheers

Is your Firefox installed in the default location,etc,or did you custom install or anything?
    The reason I ask is that I was able to get Spybot not to "see" Firefox by removing the Mozilla folder from C:\Users\<myusername>\AppData\Roaming.It's probably unlikely your Mozilla folder is not located there,but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.

The location where the executable is installed shouldn't matter. I'll try to describe how our tools try to locate the Mozilla/Firefox/&c browsers:
    1. For each user, it gets the application data folder.
    2. There, it looks for the following files in subfolders:
      • Phoenix\registry.dat
      • Mozilla\registry.dat
      • Beonex\registry.dat
      • Firebird\registry.dat
      • nsreg.dat
      • Mozilla\Firefox\profiles.ini
      • Thunderbird\profiles.ini
    3. Each of these files, if it exists, should point to a prefs.js file, which is then regarded as a profile location of the corresponding browser.
    (Only exception: for K-Meleon, another clone, the registry file is looked for in a subfolder of the program files folder)

btw, @Zenobia: are you part of a domain (since you mention a roaming folder)?
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)

Quote Originally Posted by Zenobia View Post
    Is your Firefox installed in the default location,etc,or did you custom install or anything?
    The reason I ask is that I was able to get Spybot not to "see" Firefox by removing the Mozilla folder from C:\Users\<myusername>\AppData\Roaming.It's probably unlikely your Mozilla folder is not located there,but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Hi mate, yes its there, the profile folders are all in the correct place i assume, i installed them all in the default locations, i have uninstalled and reinstalled 2 or 3 times firefox and each time removing all its remnants.

Quote Originally Posted by PepiMK
    The location where the executable is installed shouldn't matter. I'll try to describe how our tools try to locate the Mozilla/Firefox/&c browsers:

1. For each user, it gets the application data folder.
    2. There, it looks for the following files in subfolders:
    * Phoenix\registry.dat
    * Mozilla\registry.dat
    * Beonex\registry.dat
    * Firebird\registry.dat
    * nsreg.dat
    * Mozilla\Firefox\profiles.ini
    * Thunderbird\profiles.ini
    3. Each of these files, if it exists, should point to a prefs.js file, which is then regarded as a profile location of the corresponding browser.

(Only exception: for K-Meleon, another clone, the registry file is looked for in a subfolder of the program files folder)
    Hi, do you mean the "AppData" folder? if so theres 3 folders under that which are Local, Localnow and Roaming, under Local there is a Mozilla\Firefox\ folder but no Registry.dat files, within those folders there are cache files etc.

Under the Roaming folder there is a \Mozilla\Firefox and \Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles folder which my profiles are located under, in the \Mozilla\Firefox folder there is the profiles.ini and the pluginreg.dat, i can't find a Registry.dat file within any of those folders.

I also can't find an nsreg.dat file

Hope that info helps.

Best Regards

Sleek26
    Last edited by Sleek26; 2007-10-01 at 14:06.

Here's a project tools issue about it:
    Firefox not fully supported on Vista
    Problem confirmed and fixed

Hi, does this mean there will be a new beta soon for spybot that corrects this issue? im not sure how the system works here

Thanks and good work.

Yes, about that

First, in the next days there'll be just a new main executable (SpybotSD.exe) available in that issue. That's more like an immediate alpha, though since we're that short after the final 1.5 and these are small maintenance fixes, I doubt they would create new problems.
    Also, we plan a new full (installer & all) beta package quite soon.

Sounds Great