Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Firewalls - Any Advice?

Has anyone used the free version of ZA, and if so how do you like it.

ZoneAlarm Free is alright. It is decent and includes Stealth Ports. The only way to know is try out for yourself. I was a ex-ZA user, but I've moved to Comodo Pro Free to test out it's features. Not only that, but it scored a high percentage in the firewall test.

The link to the test should be in this thread...

Thanks I did see that link you mentioned.

i was just reading this:

It is critical that you use a firewall to protect your computer from hackers. We don't recommend the firewall that comes built into Windows XP. It doesn't block everything that may try to get in, it doesn't block anything at all outbound, and the entire firewall is written to the registry. (The built-in Vista firewall blocks both incoming and outbound, but is still written to the registry). Since most malware accesses the registry and can disable the Windows firewall, it's preferable to install one of these excellent third party solutions.
    Two good free ones are Online Armor and Outpost. The trial version of Sunbelt Kerio Personal Firewall will also work in "free mode" after the trial period expires. Please only use one firewall at a time!

from this link: http://www.spywareinfoforum.com/inde...howtopic=60955

what do they mean by saying this: It doesn't block everything that may try to get in.

is this true? it is the first time i have heard that.

Default i have only heard and known...

That windows firewall provides inbound protection, but outbound it does not. So honestly, i do not know..

Smile firewall

To all: If I were a spybot user i would just set myself up as a regular user, set msie to cookies blocked and security to all the highest. Use mozilla and turn off cookies and java and just set exceptions to where you login only. Import bookmarks only as a file. Forget about future windows patches. Copy over all your files from a usb drive if resintllaing windows. Install your programs all at once as an administrator bring your files over and update spybot once a week or every two weeks from there. Use free zone labs and on some machines it teatimer fails to start it can be put in /local machine/ instead of just local user (logged in as admin). Or you can run a bat file with "wait". With this you dont need avg or norton av at all and you run virus free just like i do now. Get a simple wireless router wgr14 so your wife/girlfriend can use a macbook in the kitchen. Stay off useless sites like iwon.com if you go there. Remember spybot will block claria, download.net and a few others off of ebay and free sites like tripod. But not if your an admin no matter what you are running unless you want to pay big bucks to spysweeper and have it lock your desktop. Yes we can run win machines like linux boxes day in and day out and completely stop paying retired bill gates money. All of this reduces the computer work down to getting a spybot update every so often. Save your money.

Default ok

Quote Originally Posted by dancingqueen View Post
    Do you experts have any advice about firewalls. I had a nasty infection(s) and, after solving my problem with the help of Steamwiz, I got my computer clean after a long and laborious process for both of us.
    ok iopjj ojop op

After fixing the problem, I installed Zone Alarm as suggested in Tony Klein's post. Now, I've been doing a little research and it seems that a hardware firewall is recommended over a softwall firewall, particularly for protection of outgoing information.

I was able to acquire a D-LInk DI-704P, and I have been trying to set it up. I've put a lot of time into it and it just seems so complicated! I'm wondering if you would recommend that I keep on plugging with that or should I look into buying a newer one - maybe the Alpha Shield -- looking like it is more novice-friendly.....???

ok ok ihi jio

Lightbulb

I use a combination the Hardware Firewall in my BT Voyager 2110 Router and the Latest version of the Comodo Pro Software Firewall and it works a treat.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Is it worth me getting a firewall? I am using a very old and there for slow laptop so i need to have as few things running as possible. I never thought i needed a firewall before because the site that recommended spybot and avast said keeping them updated and scanning regularly would be enough.

Exclamation

Not having a Firewall in this day and age is suicide though if your running anything less that Windows 2000 your unlikely to find a firewall thats compatible. My advice is to buy a new laptop (if you can afford it) and install the Following:

Comodo Pro 3.0 Firewall
    Avast 4.8
    Spybot 1.6
    Spyware Blaster 4.1
    CCleaner
    Secunia Personal Software Inspector
    All currently avaliable Windows Updates
    Last edited by Terminator; 2008-10-06 at 13:04. Reason: Added additional info
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it!