Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Thread: Firewalls - Any Advice?

Heh, I can't argue against that. Of course, I'm no IT professional so what do I know. You mentioned Keep It Simple Stupid. I remember one of my high school teachers said that. I think it was a chemistry teacher that said that. It wasn't about computers though but I guess the same principle applies.

So, I'm guessing there are tutorials on how to make the most use out of Windows firewall. However, I don't see any recommendations to use Windows firewall except on Microsoft's website. Just something I observed.

Esteemed Member

Yes, the KISS principal is generic and isn't intended to mean anything about an individual by the way, since I apply it to my own PC and those of others I help protect.

Again, your firewall decision relates more to what makes operation easy for you and/or others that use your PC. I can make the Windows Vista firewall work efffectively for inbound protection only on Windows XP, outbound also on Windows Vista, but I wouldn't use it on my non-technical relatives PCs or I'd have to return to configure too often.

Bitman

Quote Originally Posted by bitman View Post
    ...but I wouldn't use it on my non-technical relatives PCs or I'd have to return to configure too often.

Bitman
    I'll have to agree on that bitman. I really like you "out-of-the box" thinking. I used to have configured ZA Free on my aunt's computer, whom was non-technical. Of course, it didn't really work out as bitman said because it's using sophisticated software by non-technical users. Basically, there were prompts and prompts so I had to reconfigure it for her once in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by drragostea View Post
    I used to have configured ZA Free on my aunt's computer, whom was non-technical. Of course, it didn't really work out as bitman said because it's using sophisticated software by non-technical users. Basically, there were prompts and prompts so I had to reconfigure it for her once in a while.
    I see your point. It can become overwhelming for non-technical users.

Well, I decided to stick with Online Armor. I didn't really give it much of a chance, especially since I only got it a few days ago. I'm kind of warming up to it. But that's not the only reason. I read somewhere (don't remember where exactly, maybe it was a thread around here) that ZA interferes with AVG 8 Free.

I have not tested Online Armor, but I heard it was good. I'm not so familiar with Online Armor, so I do not plan to use it anytime soon.

I don't recall any problems reported with AVG 8.0 and ZA co-existing (until now? ). Feel free to describe what happened.

I don't recall any problems reported with AVG 8.0 and ZA co-existing (until now? ). Feel free to describe what happened.
    Really? Maybe what I read was old news and the problem was already resolved. As I said, I don't remember exactly.
    NCIS fan | House, M.D. watcher | Terminator: The Sarah Conner Chronicles watcher
    Stargate SG-1 fan | Stargate Atlantis fan | Whose Line Is It Anyway? fan

A thread about that could have been started in another forum ?

A thread about that could have been started in another forum ?
    Perhaps. There's just so much information about firewalls. It's hard to determine what's what.
    NCIS fan | House, M.D. watcher | Terminator: The Sarah Conner Chronicles watcher
    Stargate SG-1 fan | Stargate Atlantis fan | Whose Line Is It Anyway? fan

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by al5579 View Post
    I read somewhere (don't remember where exactly, maybe it was a thread around here) that ZA interferes with AVG 8 Free.
    No problems here

Smile

I, personally, absolutely love ZoneAlarm. I have had it for over a year now. I use it along with several other security programs and have experienced no problems on either one of my computers (with different anti-virus and anti-spyware on each). My computers even passed the ShieldsUP! test with flying colors (no intrusions).
    Personal Signature

Fav Software:
    Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, Spybot-S&D, ZoneAlarm Firewall, and CamStudio